PDA

View Full Version : What is this?!

Reddwarf
09-04-2006, 04:22 PM
It's hard to see in the picture. I could not get a good shot with the camera, but believe me, in person it sticks out like a sore thumb!

This was on the car when I purchased it. Maybe bird drop etching? It is about an inch in diameter and looks like a ring of little circles or hexagons.

This weekend I tried using the PC with an LC orange pad and PB SSR 2.5. Followed by PB SSR 1. I worked both in well and I'm confident I applied them correctly. With the exception of force perhaps. I did not press hard more that the weight of the PC however. It seemed to have NO EFFECT!

Anyone have an idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks.

justin_murphy
09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Could be some serious etching. I wish I could see it in person.
You don't think it's a paint defect do you?

joe.p
09-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Could be some serious etching. I wish I could see it in person.
You don't think it's a paint defect do you?yeah sorry to see that reddwarf .I beleive what your seeing is some serious Bird-Etching.
The question now is what can you do to minimize the etching..

Kelso
09-04-2006, 05:21 PM
theres a video online where they use the pc to remove bird etching... i forget the link but i think killr sent me the link...

Kelso
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/

ScottB
09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
The etching is likely birdie doo-doo or egg. It has clearly breached the clearcoat. You can polish the crap out of it, and reduce it, or in some cases may have to live with it. Based upon the design of the markings you say are within the circle, sounds alot like egg.

Reddwarf
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I never thought of it being from an egg, but the shape does fit. Still could be bird poop. I have to see the lady that did the touch up on my bumper so I'll ask her if she knows what it is. I guess the only way to completely get rid of it is take it to a body shop.

Drat!

P1et
09-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Reddwarf, I have the same on my wife's Explorer. Look at the picture below, I think it's the same. Couldn't put a dent it in with clay, SSR2.5 or anything. I'm going to try another pass sometime though...

http://www.southernsoot.com/ford/Ford14.JPG

keggus
09-05-2006, 03:14 AM
If you were in Australia I would say it looks like flying fox etching. That stuff is strong enough to eat straight through clear coat and stain your paint in no time. And sorry I dont have a solution either.

Reddwarf
09-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Yesterday I appiled a coat of Woldgang Deep Gloss Sealant. That and the lighting today enabled me to take a better photo of the terrible looking spot.

Rapidity
09-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Back when I owned my mustang it had a spot that looked kind of like that. It was tree sap that had stayed on the car a long time before I removed it. I was left with some pretty ugly spots.

Reddwarf
09-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I took the car by the lady that did the touch up on my bumper. She confirmed that the spots are from bird droppings that have eaten through the clearcoat. She said the only was to get rid of it is to have the roof repainted.

:(

FloridaNative
09-06-2006, 12:02 PM
OUCH!! Bad news!! So sorry to hear that!! If it's any consolation the reflection of your hand looked awesome!:o

kellyinkc
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
That stinks!