PDA

View Full Version : 99 VW Passat, 110k hard miles...advice PLEASE!

Shinystang
05-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I am detailing my new brother-in-law's car. It's NEVER been detailed, brown & nasty leather seats, gummy arm rests, yellow headlights....you get the picture.

The rims are original...aluminum, I believe. The face of the rim is not bad, but the lip between each spoke has SEVERE brake dust staining. The surface of the aluminum is rough....like it was never polished or clearcoated from the factory...but only between the spokes.

I thought about hand polishing, but it would be like rubbing on a piece of cement. Is there a way to get that area clean or at least cleaner??? Sanding and resurfacing is not an option.

Thanks!!!!!!! I'll post pictures when I do the car.

CharlesAFerg
05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I am detailing my new brother-in-law's car. It's NEVER been detailed, brown & nasty leather seats, gummy arm rests, yellow headlights....you get the picture.

The rims are original...aluminum, I believe. The face of the rim is not bad, but the lip between each spoke has SEVERE brake dust staining. The surface of the aluminum is rough....like it was never polished or clearcoated from the factory...but only between the spokes.

I thought about hand polishing, but it would be like rubbing on a piece of cement. Is there a way to get that area clean or at least cleaner??? Sanding and resurfacing is not an option.

Thanks!!!!!!! I'll post pictures when I do the car.

Find a quality, acid-free, aluminum safe wheel cleaning gel. Let it dwell per the directions before rinsing. Then, reapply, agitate, especially in those hard to reach areas, and rinse. After you've rinsed off as much of the cleaner as you possibly can, dry and clay those wheels. Clay actually does wonders with super severe brake dust between spokes, I've found. Once you've really cleaned it well, seal it under a quality LSP that's suitable for wheels. For example, Rejex or another sealant.