PDA

View Full Version : Sealant over glass and rubber trim?

bob m
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Is there any reason not to put a sealent over glass?
How about sealent over rubber trim and gaskets? Would that provide more protection from the elements and keep the rubbber in better shape than some of the specific rubber protection sprays?

Bob

loudog2
05-30-2009, 10:10 PM
You can use a sealant on glass. For rubber trim I would use 303.

Rsurfer
05-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Sealants over glass is fine, but rubber is too flexible and porous. Use 1Z Gummi Pflege for rubber seals, great results.

HMFIC
05-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I was thinking about using sealant on glass the other day. How long do you all think it would last during raining season here in south florida?

ScottB
05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
If you are looking for the longest glass protection, try Aquapel. I find it more rewarding that sealants on glass personally. If glass is dirty or scarred then either DP Glass Restorer or Klasse AIO. With Aquapel I got 6 months in protection and in the same South Florida weather.

As far as rubber surrounds, I would not personally use a sealant or wax. I do feel over time the solvents and curing agents might prematurely damage them just as I do using Dawn Dishwashing Liquid for washing. I use the Einszett Rubber Stick on inside, and Poorboys Restorer or 303 on outside rubber and plastics.

dan45hk
05-31-2009, 01:13 PM
One reason not to put a sealant or anything for that matter on the windshield is that it can cause wiper chatter.

agpatel
05-31-2009, 02:21 PM
I use Klasse AIO on the windsurfing have had no wiper chatter, but I do love aquapel!