PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review -- Griots Waterproof Tire Dressing

ScottB
05-30-2009, 05:09 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/gr-weatherproof-dressing.jpg
I was interested in trying several newer Griots products and this was one I have watched from afar without many if any a review. It also currently rains in Florida each afternoon for several hours and tired of looking at all those undressed tires.

First, let me warn I believe this product must have a dye in it or some similar design. It comes with its own sponge and nice in size too. The product comes out in a thick liquid design and black in color. It spreads rather easily for a liquid/lotion type design using the foam applicator. Initially it looks quite nice and matte in design.

Unfortunately after 10 minutes of drying, in which it did so to the touch, it was not matte in design, not really satin either, more like new tire in look. Since I rather like glossy (Poorboys Bright/Bold) or matte (303) it was not exactly what I was looking for in a dressing, but in fairness was noted in description and waterproof is what I was looking for currently.

There are two warnings to heed with this product. First keep a damp towel in place to immediately wipe any overapplication on wheels. Once dried its a bear to remove even with soap/water. Second, protect your hands. I had to use a orange based hand soap to remove the coloring and it took a little scrubbing.

So initially the product appears to offer the waterproof design it offered. Water sprayed onto it beaded rather nicely like a well waxed finish. Durability will be tested in the coming thunderstorms scheduled for the next week. I would just heed the warnings that the look is rather "new" but not glossy or matte, and protect or cover areas when applying. Im keeping the sponge in a baggie for next use, and might apply a second coat to see if additional finish is obtained when it stops raining !

VISITOR
05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Im keeping the sponge in a baggie for next use

that's what i do as well, all foam/tire applicators that have been used go in a large plastic ziploc bag...

Meghan
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Nice review, would love to see some photos of the wheels before and after if you took some. I might have to give this product a try this weekend coming up, if it does not rain.

Jimmie
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice review. Thanks Killr.

ScottB
06-01-2009, 04:59 PM
It has rained every day ... I gotta say I am not that impressed with the look (and in fairness did not get to add a second coat) but it certainly appears waterproof and beads kinda cool. I need some gloss however and plan to top it like a sealer/wax combo.

Bruce Jenkins
05-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I just ordered a bottle so i should be able to give you some feedback next week. I hope it works because when they add the shipping it becomes a little pricey for a bottle of tire shine. BJ

CEE DOG
05-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the review Scott! Sounds interesting, look forward to any 50/50 tire pictures anybody can offer.

ScottB
05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
its amazing this review was about a year ago ... dont use the product much anymore. It acts like a dye product.

A4 1.8tqm
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I need some gloss however and plan to top it like a sealer/wax combo.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the "waterproof" "dye" type tire product as a base (Griott's), cure time, then top with tire gel for looks. OH NO, now we are going to start muti-stepping tire products. :)

Thanks for the review Scott! Sounds interesting, look forward to any 50/50 tire pictures anybody can offer.

:iagree: Any recent opinions from anyone? We love our tire products. :D

its amazing this review was about a year ago ... dont use the product much anymore. It acts like a dye product.

LOL I always fail to look at the OP date. Since you never updated do you have anything to add now, did you ever top it with another gel? What were your durability findings?

ScottB
05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
it is a nice product for those that like the original tire look, its not even matte really. The problem is its messy and can stain driveway and not very easy to remove once dried on wheel versus tire. My recommendation is use their thick blue applicator, and clean up quickly.

CEE DOG
05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Wow! didn't see how old the post was. Sounds like Bruce is going to take a look as well. I'll stick with the DP and Optimum for now

Da Fats
05-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Personally on big truck tires... the new tire look goes over tons better then glossy shiny tires... I might have to try this out sometime on the big redneck trucks I end up detailing... I love trying to explain why the F250 supercab long bed with bed cover costs so much more then their wifes accord to detail...

Bruce Jenkins
06-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I just ordered a bottle so i should be able to give you some feedback next week. I hope it works because when they add the shipping it becomes a little pricey for a bottle of tire shine. BJ

Finally used my high price Waterproof Tire Dressing, hey i must admit its pretty good I mean you can have a brand new tire look or a high gloss finish, but its worth the money and you dont have to use alot. BJ

ScottB
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I found a new use for this product, on mudflaps/splashguards. Its weatherproof and adds a rich dark texture to the plastic.

Superdutytd
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
What about on other plastics?