PDA

View Full Version : New Member from New Mexico...HELLO! Lots of ???s

Mike1968NM
05-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Everyone!

I have been surfing around the net looking for car care products and stumbled across this wonderful site! I have always been amazed at how some people's cars look at the auto shows we go to and have always wondered just how they do it. I have spent a bunch of money on cleaning/care products but have discovered that I just don't know "HOW" to get that deep perfect shine on my vehicles.

Well, we have just purchased my wife a 2009 Mini and I want to be able to maintain/improve upon that brand new look. The vehicle was on the lot for about 4 weeks before we purchased it and it has some annoying water spots on the sunroof glass. It also has some swirl marks on the black A pillars....annoying on the new baby.

We also have a 2005.5 VW Jetta TDI and a 2002 Jeep Liberty that have been maintained well in my book but again, I am no pro detailer, have a few issues such as minor swirls and some light scratches.

I would like to get a good quality polisher such as a Porter Cable 7424 but have never pulled the plug on one. Now is the time! I enjoy "detailing" the cars but simply don't know the best way to do it as there are sooooo many products out there.

I have been using Meguiar's products because they are available at the local store but I hear and see soooo many other products out there that it is all a bit confusing.

If anyone knows of a good "tutorial" that takes you from the raw basics through the entire process I would be appreciative if someone could point me in that direction!

I used to think that applying a carnuba wax by hand was the "best" thing to do but after reading bunches, it seems that there are other methods that produce better results.

Anyhow I hope to learn a great deal here and will post pictures in the future as my detailing experiences progress!

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the community!

Mike

Bernard
05-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Welcome to AG family. And you'll be please with the many great products AG have. Again welcome and Happy detailing. :)

07ImpalaSS
05-30-2009, 10:23 AM
:welcome:

For the glass I'd use Stoners Invisable Glass. If you can afford it I'd get the flex over the porter cable, but if the scratches aren't that bad, you may be better off with the pc.

Mike1968NM
05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I have Stoner's Invisible glass but it still will not get the water spots off of the sunroof. I have tried claying it as well......no dice...any suggestions?

supercharged
05-30-2009, 06:41 PM
:welcome:

07ImpalaSS
05-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I would try either polish or wax first. Another forum I saw someone had used scratchx to get some of them out, but most were really faint, and you couldn't see them unless you really looked. There's a product called C-30 Water Spot Remover that claims to get rid of bad water spot etchings on glass, but never used it or know anyone that has so can't speak of how good/bad it is.

jugodegolf
05-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Welcome Mike. What part of new mexico? Grew up there.

There's a glass kit on AG haven't tried it yet.

blackmachdown
05-31-2009, 08:17 AM
for water spots id try a half and half mix of white vinegar with distilled water, and adjust the ratio towards more vinegar until its just all vinegar, if it doesnt come off with that, then you have etching which will need a compound, try swirlx if that doesnt work scratchx2.0 if that doesnt work then Ultimate Compound (since these are all available locally) if those dont work then its time to decide if you want to wetsand or live with them!

Mike1968NM
05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks folks! Albuquerque area here for me Jugodegolf!

Blackmach I took two microfiber towels and soaked them in white vinegar and then laid them on the sunroof for 30 min or so...making sure they were in contact with the glass. I then removed them and wiped them down....a good majority of the teenie tinies were gone but had a couple still left. I am going to try this another time tomorrow in the same spots and see how it goes. If this does not work then I will try the swirlx scratchx runs and see. These spots are MINOR but I am a bit OCDish with seeing through the glass. Wife does not notice but I do....LOL.....If this methodology works then I know the process for my other cars. LEAST aggressive first then go for the big guns if necessary!

jugodegolf
05-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Cool Mike. I'm the same way with my windows. I usually wax them. I did the neighbors mini. She was like, " I don't even need wipers now" LOL. I prefer hand app when I wax.