PDA

View Full Version : Bissell Little Green Machine (from a skeptic)

Pages : [1] 2

PerroneFord
05-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Alright, so I know this unit is popular with detailers. I've read about it on here and at other forums. After getting my butt kicked on a detail last week, I realized I needed to step up my interior game in a BIG way if I was going to call myself a detailer. So I decided to make 2 significant purchases. The first was a decent wet/dry vac. The second was one of these Little Green Machines. After much going back and forth, I settled on the ProHeat model with the turbo brush.

First let me say that this is NOT a professional tool. They don't market it as one, and if you are doing this for a living, you NEED to buy a professional tool. Ok, enough said.

I am a born skeptic. And though I've seen the photos of what people have done with this little machine, I still remained a bit skeptical. So I brought it home and decided to do a little test. My home carpet has not been cleaned in a long time. And the front door area takes a heavy beating. I don't allow shoes past that point so the rest of the carpet isn't as bad.

I decided to try several products and extract them off with the new machine. All products were things I've seen here. They were Folex, Oxyclean granules in water, Purple Power 100% strength, and Goop. I tried all three on my dirty carpet. Of these, I had previously used the Folex before and had been pretty happy with my results in most cases.

All four did a nice job on the carpet to be sure, but I would have to rate my results in the following order.

1. Goop
2. Purple Power 100%
3. Folex
4. Oxyclean

Now let me qualify that. The Oxyclean was not effective for pre-treating like the others. However it was the only one that got brushing the first time through. The others were agitated by hand only.

I was absolutely stunned at how well the Goop worked. No odor at all, just darn effective. The Purple Power is an engine degreaser. I sort of expected it to do well at removing what is essentially traffic lane grime. The Folex did it's normal very good job. I don't think it excels in this kind of thing though. If these were protein based stains and not grease/grime stains, it probably would have fared better. The Oxyclean did fine too, and would be the choice for cleaning a larger area. Used in conjuction with the others, it works remarkably well, and that is JUST what I did. I used the Oxyclean mixture on top of the others after initial results were in, and then played with the machine.

So, how did the machine do?

The instructions say NOT to use boiling water. I know from reading here that hot water works best. So I boiled some water, mixed it with some hot tap water, and put that in the machine. No chemicals. I thought the turbo-brush would be kinda gimmicky, but it really worked quite well. Just sprayed hot water onto the spots while running the brush.

I changed to the extraction nozzle (if you can call it that) and started pulling the dirt and water out. The suction on the machine isn't terrific. For uphostery it's probably more than sufficient. But it was pulling water and dirt up and you could see it working. Very nice! Once that process was complete, I attached the same nozzle to my Rigid Wet/Dry vac with a 2.5" to 1.25" reducer. I went over the area again, and it really did a nice job pulling out a lot more of the water.

The carpet looked very nice after this process. Easily as nice as the carpet out of the traffic lane. The tools were effective. Even running with just water in the machine, I felt it was quite effective.

So, $100 spent on the LGM, $3 on Goop, $5 on Folex, $8 on Oxyclean. I now feel like I can get any carpets or uphostery clean enough for my purposes. I'll dedicate an electric kettle for detailing and use that to get hot water.

Final analysis:

LGM is worth the $100 for a weekend hobbyist or home user. If you haven't tried Goop for mats and carpets in the car, you ARE missing something. It's cheap, non-toxic, biodegradble, and darn effective ($7 for a 4.5 pound tub at Harbor Freight). Using the Shop-Vac to extract after going over the area with the LGM seems to fix its only significant flaw, which is weak suction.

I'm happy, and I think my clients will be also.

Thanks for reading.

ANDYS87
05-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Don't tell Billy Mays that Oxyclean placed last....he might yell at you!

Is Goop the hand cleaner? Does it just dissolve in hot water? Mind if I ask where you purchased the Little Green Machine?(you can PM me if it is against forum rules to list other sites). Thanks!

PerroneFord
05-29-2009, 10:49 PM
LOL! I think the Oxyclean solution is just fine, but not as a spot treatment. As an overall scrub solution, I think it's going to be terrific.

Yes, Goop is the hand cleaner. However, if you look on the product, it gives as much credence to it being for laundry as anything else. I bought the machine at Target. I've seen them advertised for $99 at Wal-Mart and the like, but Target it was a couple dollars more. But Target had the Oxyclean, a step-stool I needed, etc. So I just combined the trip. Wasn't worth running all over town to save $4.

ANDYS87
05-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks. Next time my girlfriend drags me to Target, I'll have something to look for!

oski83
05-30-2009, 08:48 PM
WOW...I got my LGM at Home Depot for $79

Good Review too ;)

loudog2
05-30-2009, 08:53 PM
There is a new one for auto's.

killrflake
05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll have to keep my eye's open for the auto one. Like a lot of other weekend detailers, I can't justify spending $700. or $800. for one of the professional units when I only use it on my own cars mostly.

loudog2
05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I'll have to keep my eye's open for the auto one. Like a lot of other weekend detailers, I can't justify spending $700. or $800. for one of the professional units when I only use it on my own cars mostly.
It is only available from bissel.com. Target doesn't have it yet.

Harleyguy
05-30-2009, 10:49 PM

It is only available from bissel.com. Target doesn't have it yet.Take a look it's at best buy for $99.99

SRHTX
05-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Folks,

I bought the one of the Bissell Machines and it freaking works. A client of mine wanted me to take care of the interior of her Ford SUV. She has three dogs that ride inside of it most of the time. There was fur all over the interior. The SUV had leather interior and that too was out of wack!!

It took me a full day to clean the interior but it came out looking awsome. The leather seats look awsome as well since I used Woolite and distrilled water to cleam them up. Those too came out very well.

Please be advised that I have taken pics of the interior. Once I dowload them, I will place them on here or u to review.

Stephen

PerroneFord
05-31-2009, 02:31 AM
WOW...I got my LGM at Home Depot for $79

Good Review too ;)

The ones without heat are $79 everywhere. It's the ones with heat that are $99.

oski83
05-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Gotcha...just saw it at Best Buy on Sale for $95 ;)

SRHTX
05-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Dang it. I did not take pics of the SUV after I was done working on it. The owner was in a hurry to get it back since he wanted to take her SUV to the airport to pick her up.

It took me almost a full day to clean out the inside. She has 3 dogs that always ride inside. Also, the SUV's interior was never cleaned before and fur was all over everything. Well, after all that hard work, everything came out and looked like new. I also cleaned the gray leather seats since the dogs turned them black. Ahhhhhh, woolite and distilled water were the trick on the leather. :righton:

Jimmie
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
A shop vac, and a couple of spray bottles will do the same job. I still keep reaching for my LGM because it seems like sucking H2O with my shop vac makes a big mess.

Da Fats
10-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I have been using a steamer + spot treatment/carpet shampoo + shop vac + water spray bottle to try to mimic the effects of having a extractor and I find it to be time consuming and a PIA... I am hoping the auto LGM is a good replacement for all this until I can afford a better unit. My side job is starting to grow through word of mouth and time is starting to be an issue.