PDA

View Full Version : RMG marring

Pages : [1] 2

nitro78
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
hi everyone. im in the process of correcting the suburban and i decided to try out my newest addition RMG. I used my p.c. at speed 4with a red ccs pad and applied until the product hazed then wiped off. what i found was tons of micro marring! so i repolished with po85rd and again tried RMG with a white pad thinking that i needed to work it more and i received the same result...... more marring. any help? is it my technique? product? tia.

sal329
05-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Could it be the MF towel?

Harleyguy
05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
hi everyone. im in the process of correcting the suburban and i decided to try out my newest addition RMG. I used my p.c. at speed 4with a red ccs pad and applied until the product hazed then wiped off. what i found was tons of micro marring! so i repolished with po85rd and again tried RMG with a white pad thinking that i needed to work it more and i received the same result...... more marring. any help? is it my technique? product? tia.What was the pad and product you used before the RMG maybe it is left over from that and not the 85rd.Also did you do a 50/50 wipedown between you paint correction.Just trying to figure out what or when the marring showed up

Jimmie
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
No nothing wrong with technique. I always use the PC on 3 or 4 with RMG and never any marring. It's one product that I apply quite a bit on the paint first and back the buffer over it to spread. Anything on your pads maybe? or too dry?

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Rmg likes to get into the pad, you need to really apply alot of RMG to the pad so it does not mar the paint.

nitro78
05-26-2009, 08:04 PM
its not the mf i know that for certain, and the first go round was with a brand new red ccs pad. jimmie you may be on to something however. i put an x across the pad just like im using menz but i did not prime the pad like i usually do! doh!

nitro78
05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
i now know. thanks everyone! off to repolish and try again.

Brian_Brice
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Glad you brought this up. I too experienced the same thing on two different paint systems, both black.

Using both blue and red pads via rotary. I've used RMG for over four years and these instances are the latest. It should have no abrassive properties but the finish left on both accounts suggested not only were abrassives present, but they were sharp.

Perhaps there was a bad bad, or some slight mishap on the manufacturing end?

Both times I wasn't even going to polish the car, just wax, so I figured a quick bout w rmg would increase depth, fairly quickly.

I wouldn't recommend using too much, maybe two pea sized drops per section, as its a very slick formula. You don't want to saturate the pad with product.

You should be polishing each section for around two minutes, you shouldn't see much 'residue' if any.

nitro78
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
i followed the recommendations of jimmie and asphaltrocket however i still had marring. i think i may call the owner and ask for a refund or perhaps an answer to this dilemna.

Jimmie
05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
i followed the recommendations of jimmie and asphaltrocket however i still had marring. i think i may call the owner and ask for a refund or perhaps an answer to this dilemna.

Sorry to hear that. That's a real head scratcher. Hope my post did not mislead or create more problems. Let us know how it comes out. I use RMG all the time.

ScottB
05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I loved RMG and VMG and found both to have some abrasive qualities when initially used many years ago. (VMG is abrasive). Since then I have used several bottles of RMG before Souveran and not seen much in abrasive quality so I too determined I had a faulty pad for application or towel when removing.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Like Killr said the next step would be trying a new finishing pad.

nitro78
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
i contacted mr everett glass and was told he had never heard such a complaint about rmg, in fact he said he has never had a complaint about the product. so i followed his directions exactly with a brand new red ccs pad and got marring! i did however try the product by hand with a microfiber applicator and was rewarded with a slick, deep finish with no marring. im stumped but at least i know i can hand apply.

wytstang
05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
This is the first I've heard of RMG marring paint. Maybe it need to be shaken up a bit more?

Waxmax
05-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I too use RMG, typically with a PC and red pad and have never had a problem. Maybe a bad bottle and as was mentioned, maybe it needed to be shaken more? A puzzler.