PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar question

RustyBumper
05-25-2009, 03:59 PM
How can I use clay on vehicle? I live on the Gulf coast and the air here is very oxidative (if sush a word exists). That, and the fact that I live in a city full of refineries and that I also use my vehicle alot to travel out of town makes me feel like I have to wash my truck weekly. I would also like to clay it, but I'm not sure if it is so to do so or not. The last time I clayed it was about two months ago.

Thanks for your input. Happy Memorial Day everyone. Thanks to the men and women who protect our freedoms and liberties.

Rsurfer
05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
How can I use clay on vehicle? I live on the Gulf coast and the air here is very oxidative (if sush a word exists). That, and the fact that I live in a city full of refineries and that I also use my vehicle alot to travel out of town makes me feel like I have to wash my truck weekly. I would also like to clay it, but I'm not sure if it is so to do so or not. The last time I clayed it was about two months ago.

Thanks for your input. Happy Memorial Day everyone. Thanks to the men and women who protect our freedoms and liberties.
Your first sentence was "How can I use clay on vehicle?" and your last sentence "The last time I clayed it was about two months ago". Is your question can you clay every two months? If so, yes, you can clay as often as needed. Claying may remove some of your lsp, so you might have to lsp again. It may also leave some marring, so a light polishing may be in order. I don't know what your last step product (LSP) is, but under the conditions your in, I would use a sealant.

akimel
05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Clay your car as often as necessary. After you wash it, rub your hand over the surface. Do you feel roughness and bumps? If yes, then you should considering claying your car. There is no set time limit, as environmental and driving conditions vary from vehicle to vehicle. The more you drive your vehicle and the harsher the environmental conditions to which it is exposed, the more frequently you will need to clay it.

But if you do clay your car, then you will need to apply one or two coats of wax/sealant, as the clay will most likely remove any previously applied protectives.

ScottB
05-25-2009, 04:23 PM
The Pinnacle Ultra Clay was designed for more frequent use and in most cases leads to less markings in paint when used over some more abrasive clays.

RustyBumper
05-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Your first sentence was "How can I use clay on vehicle?" and your last sentence "The last time I clayed it was about two months ago". Is your question can you clay every two months? If so, yes, you can clay as often as needed. Claying may remove some of your lsp, so you might have to lsp again. It may also leave some marring, so a light polishing may be in order. I don't know what your last step product (LSP) is, but under the conditions your in, I would use a sealant.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was in a hurry when I typed it and didn't double check before posting it. Thanks for catching that, my bad. What I meant to say was "How often can I use clay on my vehicle?".

The reason that I ask this question is that I just want to make sure that I won't damage the clear or paint by claying too often. Where I live there are many refineries and I'm sure that the pollutants that are in the air can't be that good for the finish. Also, the air quickly oxidizes everything here. I see many vehicles driving around with oxidation because of the Gulf, I'm sure. I never had to worry about oxidation when I used to live in So. Cal. The air wasn't as oxidative as it is here in Texas.

What I would really like to do this time when I detail my vehicle is wash it well, clay, either straight IPA wipedown or wash again and 105/205 polish :buffing:, IPA wipe down again or wash and seal. Maybe even put a coat of wax on top of the sealant just to satisfy my curiousity.

So will claying too often damage my finish and or paint and is my process ok?

SpotlessDetail
05-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Not sure on the word oxidative. But I clay my truck about every 6 months. I never get any marring or anything else or had it happen on other vehicles but thats not saying it cant happen. I would go ahead with claying as often as you think it needs it. Its just clay have fun with it. Besides if you do marr it up that gives you a reason to have some real fun with the buffer!!!

RustyBumper
05-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Not sure on the word oxidative.
lol...You don't want to know where I pulled that word out of. The word that I had wanted to use but couldn't think of at the moment was corrosive.

Who says that I kaint spoke ore right good?:awesome: