PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reviw - Several new (to me) products

Pages : [1] 2

PerroneFord
05-24-2009, 10:53 PM
So I had two details this weekend. An early 90s Mitsubishi Galant, and a 2000 Mustang. Both offered some unique challenges. The Galant probably hadn't been washed in several years and lives outside 24/7. UV deterioration had really taken hold. The Mustang is on it's third teenager though this one actually is doing a good job trying to care of it.

So this weekend I decided to try out several new products in place of some old favs. They were:

Edge System (4" and 6" pads)
Poorboy's World SSR1 and SSR2
Wolfgang Auto Bathe
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
DP Rinseless Wash (used as QD)
Megs Aggressive Clay

Wolfgang Auto Bathe

I used the Auto Bathe product today on the Mustang in place of my normal Poorboys World Super Slick and Suds. The scent was very nice, lather was ok, but not as good as what I had been using. Cleaning capacity seemed on par iwith the PB product but lubrocity didn't seem as good. No complaints with the product, it worked as advertised, but I wouldn't leave what I have now. Cost is also rather high at $16 for 16oz. That is double what I pay for PB SS&S.

Megs aggressive Clay + DP Rinseless

The effectiveness of these two products took me somewhat by surprise. I used the Megs QD on the Galant and the DP on the mustang. The DP was EASILY more slick. It did develop a bit of a lather, but I think I used a bit too much product. I'll remix more carefully and try again next time. The Megs clay picked up everything it had any right to. My goodness what an effective solution. However, I did need to wash the car down today after claying. The DP and the clay made quite a mess, but left the surface polish ready.

Poorboys's SSR1 + SSR2

I used this combo only as a test today. The SSR2 product will likely see limited duty only as a prep step on lightly swirled cars. I do have a "scuff" cleanup in a week on a Porsche where I will try it again. The SSR1 product leaves a beautiful LSP ready surface. I also used it as a last step in a headlamp restoration today. It left a very smooth surface that the client was thrilled with. If you are trying to jewel paint, this one is a winner. I used it today on a black car with temps near 90 today here in FL. It worked perfectly, and was a joy to apply and remove. I can't say enough about this great Poorboy's lineup.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

I have been reading here and elsewhere about how great this stuff is. So today, I decided to put it to the test. While I cannot comment on it's durability, Application and removal was effortless. I allowed it to dwell on the paint for 15-20 minutes and it wiped off like I was dusting the car. Effortless. I tested the beading and was floored. Optimum Poli-Seal is my go-to sealant. The Wolfgang may just have it beat. I'll be buying some of this for use on my own car next time. I used a sample for this project. Well done!

The Edge System

Plenty has been written about this system. Pads are double-sided, pop on and off, allowing access to both sides, and allowing the user to change pad densities, and sizes at will. This system was an absolute joy to use. Smooths out the PC tremendously as the pads are perfectly centered every time. I was able to go from 4" cutting pads, to 6" cutting, to 6" polishing, to 6" or 4" finishing all without issue. Possibly the best purchase I've made you for my Porter Cable 7424. When I get a Flex, I'll be buying the Edge system for that too.

I was very pleased with the products today. I tend to do a lot of research into the stuff I buy and only buy what I think I'll actually need. Based on my experiences today, I'll be adding more Poorboy's products to the arsenal, and that Wolfgang Sealant is definitely going to find a place on the shelf. But with the rather high price, it will only find it's way onto the premier cars I detail.

bunyz06rabbitt
05-25-2009, 01:07 AM
You have no idea how precious your words are in this write up, especially to a newbie learner, like me! We need more articles like yours. I'm glad you gave high marks for the WG 3.0 sealant. My absolute favorite!

wytstang
05-25-2009, 01:32 AM
WG DGS needs 35-45 minutes to set up. For some reason they don't put this on the label just on there web site. That really needs to be address by AG/WG.
Also

Tech Note: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a water-based, oxygen activated paint sealant. After buffing off the sealant, the remaining coating needs to cure for 12 hours in dry conditions to fully bond to the paint. Exposure to moisture during this time will drown the polymers. For the best results, allow 12 hours of curing time.
Durability test will not be accurate.

PerroneFord
05-25-2009, 07:08 AM
WG DGS needs 35-45 minutes to set up. For some reason they don't put this on the label just on there web site. That really needs to be address by AG/WG.
Also

Durability test will not be accurate.

Good catch. I just watched the video last night and saw this, so I'll be re-topping the mustang today.

ScottB
05-25-2009, 07:16 AM
thanks for the offerings ... nice mini reviews.

alban61
05-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your reviews.

agpatel
05-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice mini review, I got a sample of WG soap and will be trying it soon.

PerroneFord
05-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Just finished re-doing all the horizontal surfaces on the Mustang with the sealant. Used the recommended dwell time. Car was then garaged for overnight. Should get nearly 20 hours before being exposed to the elements.

Thought I would add here that I finally did a "Rinseless" wash for the first time. While I was waiting for the sealant on the Mustang to cure, the person who hired me to clean it up had her car in the driveway. Apparently the daughter (Mustang driver) had borrowed it to go to a friends house and they live down a muddy dirt road!

So I decided it would be a PERFECT time to try my rinseless wash. To make a long story short, I was quite pleased. Took me about 30 minutes to wash and dry a late model Altima. Car dried with no spotting. I did notice that certain things were not as effective as my normal pre-soak/wash routine, like getting off hardened bugs. But for someone looking to get a wash done quickly on a moderately dirty car, or for someone doing courtesy washes, I HIGHLY recommend converting to this method. It's quick, easy, and painless.

I think I will stay with the DP product over ONR since the fragrance is so pleasant, and it works just as well from what I understand. Same price too.

Meghan
05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Perrone, very nice reviews, since you are a probably a Noles fan I will have to give you a little bit of a hard time.....
:Picture::Picture::Picture:

:D

PerroneFord
05-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Actually, I am a Carolina fan. I root for the Noles unless they are playing the Tarheels. Let me see what I can do about some photos. Since I just have my camera phone, none of my pics are that great.

Meghan
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Actually, I am a Carolina fan. I root for the Noles unless they are playing the Tarheels. Let me see what I can do about some photos. Since I just have my camera phone, none of my pics are that great.

I will let you slide then! :D

PerroneFord
05-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok,

Here are some photos (sorry for the large size):

Before:

Head-on
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/perroneford/Sarah_Mustang_Before/PIC-0313.jpg

Rear QUarter

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/perroneford/Sarah_Mustang_Before/PIC-0318.jpg

Hazy headlamp

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/perroneford/Sarah_Mustang_Before/PIC-0329.jpg

Afters

Front corner

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/perroneford/Sarah_Mustang_After/PIC-0420.jpg

Roof

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/perroneford/Sarah_Mustang_After/PIC-0405.jpg

Rear Trunk (no LSP)

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/perroneford/Sarah_Mustang_After/PIC-0403.jpg

bunyz06rabbitt
05-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Outstanding camera phone!

Emile
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Very nice reviews. I like the Poorboy's Super Swirl Removers as they work in the sun, they are easy to buff off, and they work on paint (clear-coat and non-clear-coat), glass, chrome, plexiglass, and plastic. You could theoretically polish all exterior surfaces of your car with just one polish.

Wolfgang DGPS is one of the best paint sealants on the market and it is the only non-cleaning sealant I will use.

PerroneFord
05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought it (Wolfgang DGPS)had the Menzerna micropolish in it??? I did get an email from the Mustang owner this week. It's been raining every day and she said "Whatever you put on my car... the rain just runs right off as I drive!"

Another satisfied customer! :)