PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding

chasesonoma
05-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey guys sorry this is gonna be a long one. So i worked at a body shop for a year and a half and i know my way around body work and wet sanding and a buffer but my issue is that i had my truck repaint the factory color and on the doors and the bed its got what we called "orange peel" where its bumpy and not smooth. im gonna wet sand all the doors and the bed then buff it with a white wool pad and polish it with a soft black polishing pad i am wondering what the best compound to use on this would be for the wool pad? we use to use some 3M stuff that was white and it worked amazing but i cant get my hands on it. 3M is the only stuff we ever worked with so im kinda out there on what other products work well for this. I have used mothers waxes before just to wax my truck and i love them but never used anything for wet sanding other than what was supplied at the shop. any suggestions would be helpful. Feed back please

P.S. i would like to post up pictures when i go to do it of the before during and after stages to show how it came out if people would enjoy checking it out

jugodegolf
05-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey guys sorry this is gonna be a long one. So i worked at a body shop for a year and a half and i know my way around body work and wet sanding and a buffer but my issue is that i had my truck repaint the factory color and on the doors and the bed its got what we called "orange peel" where its bumpy and not smooth. im gonna wet sand all the doors and the bed then buff it with a white wool pad and polish it with a soft black polishing pad i am wondering what the best compound to use on this would be for the wool pad? we use to use some 3M stuff that was white and it worked amazing but i cant get my hands on it. 3M is the only stuff we ever worked with so im kinda out there on what other products work well for this. I have used mothers waxes before just to wax my truck and i love them but never used anything for wet sanding other than what was supplied at the shop. any suggestions would be helpful. Feed back please

P.S. i would like to post up pictures when i go to do it of the before during and after stages to show how it came out if people would enjoy checking it out

3m site (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Automotive/OEM/Prod_Info/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S0S0_nid=BPZ68LGWNRbeN GVXNLZ4QDgl) Should be albe to find retailer there.

Pics before and after would be great!

littlrook
05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
i used extra cut with a wool pad. smooth as glass i just have to polish it to get rid of the swirls and im done.

Harleyguy
05-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Should have no problem using Megs 105 with the megs heavy cut wool and step down from there .Megs 105 white then 205/menz 106fa gray pad then 3m ultrafina or Menz 85rd .