PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Tire Shine or Opti-Bond?

The Skillmaster
05-24-2009, 03:27 AM
I am getting ready to make a purchase and want to try a new tire dressing and wanted to know the differences between Optimum's Tire Shine and Opti-Bond. They say that they are both water based and they cost the same if bought by the gallon. Is the main difference that Opti-Bond is a gel? For those of you who have used both, which one do you prefer and why?

ScottB
05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
I have used both and found a couple differences:

Optibond --- its a thicker lotion type design, it lasts longer and is water based, but harder to regulate how much is used due to its thick design. Matte with a hint of gloss. Can be used with a type of spray gun for application.

Tire Dressing -- a water based dressing in liquid form that can be applied/regulated rather quickly using a foamy applicator. It is quite matte and new in appearance with no real gloss. I do believe the formula was updated to last longer and add a bit more gloss.

Both are indeed nice products ... no wrong choice just personal preference as to design and application.

POPPAJ
05-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Used both, ended up using Opti-Bond exclusively. I use a foam applicator for tires to apply, go around the tires, move the vehicle 18", go around again, let it sit 30 minutes and do a wipe down with a cotton faced polishing pad. Love it!!!

Emile
05-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I have never used either but I e-mailed Optimum about this once and they said that the Opti-Bond Gel is a bit more durable and is more glossy looking.

The Skillmaster
05-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Thank you for the feedback. My order with opti-bond is on it's way.

Wendell Jarvis
05-29-2009, 06:35 AM
I have used both and found a couple differences:

Optibond --- its a thicker lotion type design, it lasts longer and is water based, but harder to regulate how much is used due to its thick design. Matte with a hint of gloss. Can be used with a type of spray gun for application.

Tire Dressing -- a water based dressing in liquid form that can be applied/regulated rather quickly using a foamy applicator. It is quite matte and new in appearance with no real gloss. I do believe the formula was updated to last longer and add a bit more gloss.

Both are indeed nice products ... no wrong choice just personal preference as to design and application.

I have both of these products and you really can not go wrong with either, I must have the new and improved Tire Dressing (Spray) because I got a great shine from the tires I used it on, its not that fake super shiny plastic looking tire look, the gel is great also, but seems like you have to use quite a bit to achieve the gloss that you are looking for, personally the Spray impressed me the most!!

nissanz350
05-29-2009, 06:52 AM
I'd recommend opti-Bond, but it's just the look you're going for. The quality of both products ir great. Go for it http://pppcm.com/72l1264.jpg

Dsoto87
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
I love optibond. Ill never buy another tire shine again.

Don't use it straight. Its a waste. Dilute 1:1 and put it in a little spritzer bottle. Spray your applicator and rub it in good.

I used it straight and saw no difference in gloss or durability.

When diluted its easier to work with and spreads easier obviously.

Optibond is a great value especially when diluted.

Wendell Jarvis
05-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I love optibond. Ill never buy another tire shine again.

Don't use it straight. Its a waste. Dilute 1:1 and put it in a little spritzer bottle. Spray your applicator and rub it in good.

I used it straight and saw no difference in gloss or durability.

When diluted its easier to work with and spreads easier obviously.

Optibond is a great value especially when diluted.

Wow, great idea, never thought about that......I will certainly try that......thanks for the tip.