PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for first exterior detail ...

p_bol
05-23-2009, 09:53 AM
... and would like to run the process I am planning on following by the experts. I recently purchased the Flex 3401 from AG and Meguairs products and will be detailing my 2007 Mazda 6 (cherry mica). It has some swirls and light scratches. I also picked up a 2 x 500 watt work light set from sears. I have all CSS pads: 2 x orange, 2 x white, 2 x gray, 2 x blue, 2 x red, & 1 x wool buffering/polishing.

1) Tape off car with painters tape
2) Wash w/ Meguiars Carwash shampoo and conditioner
3) Clay with Meguiars mild pro & final inspection
4) Start with M205 on gray pad
4a) If M205 does not get the job done go to M105 on orange pad then go back through with M205 on gray pad
4b) If scratches are not removed with either M205 or M105 hit all scratches with Scratch X (the original not 2.0) on white pad
5) Apply M21 on blue pad
6) I believe I read somewhere that M105/M205 combo works well on wheels also. So thinking of giving that a try then coating with Optimum opti-seal

I also have M80 and ultimate compound but plan on using them to maintian the cars exterior after it gets a good one over. I'm planning on spreading the products with the Flex off, then bump to speed 2 - 3 to give a good spread, then work product in on speed 4 - 5.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. I'd like to ensure I atleast get the process right so I don't spend hours on the vehicle and then get discouraged becasue I did it wrong and have to do it all over again.

:cheers:

loudog2
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
First off I would wash the car first, then tape it off:D

To go from 205 on a LC gray to 105 on a LC orange is a big jump. Why not try the 205 on a LC white first, then if it doesn't work, go to 105 on a LC white.

ScottB
05-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I dont see where SwirlX will knock out what 105/205 cannot. I suspect you will do fine with those polishing just remember they offer non-diminishing abrasives and need a little care, dont overwork them IMO.

Since you suggest some scratches, this would be my personal line of attack, take it for what its worth.

Wash --- Clay -- Rewash and Dry -- Tape -- Hit with 105 and white pad, moving to orange only as needed -- moving to 205 and grey finishing pad --coat with wax or sealant of choice.

loudog2
05-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I dont see where SwirlX will knock out what 105/205 cannot. I suspect you will do fine with those polishing just remember they offer non-diminishing abrasives and need a little care, dont overwork them IMO.

Since you suggest some scratches, this would be my personal line of attack, take it for what its worth.

Wash --- Clay -- Rewash and Dry -- Tape -- Hit with 105 and white pad, moving to orange only as needed -- moving to 205 and grey finishing pad --coat with wax or sealant of choice.
If the scratches are light. the 205 on a white would definitely knock them out. Espeacially w/a flex.

BEEG44
05-23-2009, 06:57 PM
... and would like to run the process I am planning on following by the experts. I recently purchased the Flex 3401 from AG and Meguairs products and will be detailing my 2007 Mazda 6 (cherry mica). It has some swirls and light scratches. I also picked up a 2 x 500 watt work light set from sears. I have all CSS pads: 2 x orange, 2 x white, 2 x gray, 2 x blue, 2 x red, & 1 x wool buffering/polishing.

1) Tape off car with painters tape
2) Wash w/ Meguiars Carwash shampoo and conditioner
3) Clay with Meguiars mild pro & final inspection
4) Start with M205 on gray pad
4a) If M205 does not get the job done go to M105 on orange pad then go back through with M205 on gray pad
4b) If scratches are not removed with either M205 or M105 hit all scratches with Scratch X (the original not 2.0) on white pad
5) Apply M21 on blue pad
6) I believe I read somewhere that M105/M205 combo works well on wheels also. So thinking of giving that a try then coating with Optimum opti-seal

I also have M80 and ultimate compound but plan on using them to maintian the cars exterior after it gets a good one over. I'm planning on spreading the products with the Flex off, then bump to speed 2 - 3 to give a good spread, then work product in on speed 4 - 5.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. I'd like to ensure I atleast get the process right so I don't spend hours on the vehicle and then get discouraged becasue I did it wrong and have to do it all over again.

Im pretty much on the same boat except my car is older than yours and its black...Im gonna clay bar first, then start with M105 with LC white pad but im pretty sure im goin to step up to an orange pad cause my paint is in pretty rough condition with heavy swirls. Ive only waxed the car once since i bought it brand new in 2004 so you can imagine what it looks like. Then im gonna follow up with M205 with a LC green or gray pad. Then apply M26 with the red pad. :buffing:

p_bol
05-23-2009, 07:55 PM
First off I would wash the car first, then tape it off:D

DOH ... I've never tried washing a car after it's already been taped off and I bet it would be rather difficult so I guess I'll wash then tape. :)

Looks like I will go with the white pad with the 105 and use the orange only if necessary. Looks like the 105 should take the scratches out and I can skip the scratch x step. :D

Thanks for the replies and putting the newbie on the right path. Really appreciate it!!!!