PDA

View Full Version : English custom polishes

Pages : [1] 2

jim/larry
09-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I would like to find a top notch metal cleaner and polish,is the english polish any good?

MikeyC
09-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I've never tried the English Polishes, but I can say that Flitz metal polish is excellent. It really does a great job restoring dull metals. You may want to consider Flitz if you haven't already tried it.

ScottB
09-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I have found Mothers Billet / Powerball a worthy combination, and love Simichrome. I am currently getting ready to try the new Blackfire Metal Polish. I also recently got one of these specialty items:

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05142.jpg

joe.p
09-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I have found Mothers Billet / Powerball a worthy combination, and love Simichrome. I am currently getting ready to try the new Blackfire Metal Polish. I also recently got one of these specialty items:

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05142.jpg
Scott,
1st time i've seen the Mini come in yellow. I have the bigger powerball i cant say that im thrilled with it. let me know how you like the mini. Thanks

ScottB
09-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Scott,
1st time i've seen the Mini come in yellow. I have the bigger powerball i cant say that im thrilled with it. let me know how you like the mini. Thanks

I have more than several powerballs (Mothers, Flitz). The mini-powerball is much easier to use and worthwhile over the original large size. I would highly suggest the mini version (red) to anyone needing to polish. Obviously a good cordless drill is also necessary.

This new yellow version (MD) can only be purchased thru Mothers, as it is much more abrasive and designed for heavily oxidized and scratched rims. I am testing it, scheduled, and warned that it should be used with great caution.

jim/larry
09-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I haven't tried flitz or menol yet but have tried several metal cleaners and polishes,I,m looking for a soft silky glow look.I want it to shine but not knock ya eye out when the sun hits it.

Totoland Mach
09-03-2006, 05:07 PM
I've got a bottle of the English Custom Polish and am real particular about my Halibrands (polished outer lip and inner rim). While the polish is "ok" in my book, it didn't justify the price.

I've had great success with a 2 step process: Polish first with Wenol Blue (or, if a more aggressive polish is needed, Wenol Red). Then I finish with Meguiars Metal Polysh or Mother's Billet Creme. Both of these are very mild and give a nice, deep glow to aluminum. The Meguiars actually offers some protection too.

For my wheels, I use a cotton buffing wheel on a drill.

Toto

jim/larry
09-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Thank you Toto,I hear tell menol makes a pink tube now,haven't checked what its purpose is.

Totoland Mach
09-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Thank you Toto,I hear tell menol makes a pink tube now,haven't checked what its purpose is.

The name of the product is Wenol (not menol) and I don't really know about a pink tube. They have Red and Blue. The Red is similar to Simichrome polish in abrasiveness and the Blue is less aggressive. In my own arsenal of metal polishing products, here is how I rate them from MOST Aggressive to LEAST:

1. Wenol Red, Blue Magic Metal, Simichrome
2. Wenol Blue, Adams #1 Metal Polish
3. Adams #2
4. Meguiars Metal Polysh & Mother's Billet Creme (non abrasive products)

I'm sure there's tons more, but that's what I currently have in my stock.

Toto

jim/larry
09-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Thats what I want and like,tell me when I am wrong b/c sometimes my fingers doesn't know the differents and my eyes cann't keep them out of trouble.

ScottB
09-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Wenol makes two metal polishes (blue, red tubes) and they now make a car wax/polish. (pink tube)

http://www.kindersitze-shop.de/inhalt/images/Wenol.jpg

Totoland Mach
09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Thats what I want and like,tell me when I am wrong b/c sometimes my fingers doesn't know the differents and my eyes cann't keep them out of trouble.

jim/larry: I look at what I am polishing (aluminum, stainless steel) and what the desired result is going to be. If the item is already polished and shows no scratching, I bring the shine with the least aggressive products.

For instance: I polished the exhaust tubing on my Mach 1 and started with #0000 steel wool + Tarnite stainless cleaner. As the finish became better, I moved from most aggressive to least aggressive.

Here's a pic of the SLP exhaust tubing. It isn't as perfect as a chrome plating job, but it's very acceptable for exhaust (and, yes, I'm going to paint the rear axle assembly this winter LOL)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/SLP_Installed.jpg

For my wheels, they were already polished by the manufacturer, so I used the least aggressive polish to deepen the shine.

Usually, your eyes are the best judge. If you are polishing and have scratch marks from the polish, it's time to step to the least aggressive polish until you get the results you want.

Hope that helps.

Toto

Totoland Mach
09-04-2006, 07:50 AM
killrwheels: that's a new one on me! Wenol Pink for car polishing. Mmmmm, anybody tried that product?

jim/larry: Here's a pic of my wheel(s). For polished aluminum, there is very little surface scratching (final polish is with Meguiars Metal Polysh).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Team3Wheel_Rear.jpg

Toto

3Dog
09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I've got a bottle of the English Custom Polish and am real particular about my Halibrands (polished outer lip and inner rim). While the polish is "ok" in my book, it didn't justify the price.

I've had great success with a 2 step process: Polish first with Wenol Blue (or, if a more aggressive polish is needed, Wenol Red). Then I finish with Meguiars Metal Polysh or Mother's Billet Creme. Both of these are very mild and give a nice, deep glow to aluminum. The Meguiars actually offers some protection too.

For my wheels, I use a cotton buffing wheel on a drill.

Toto
Which ECP did you use? There are 5 versions.

Totoland Mach
09-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Which ECP did you use? There are 5 versions.

I have Custom Blend - Show Quality Finish. Again, it's an "ok" product, but I get the same results from NXT Metal Polysh and I get better protection from the Meg's product.

Toto