PDA

View Full Version : stripping before polishing?

drastic_detail
05-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Is it really necessary to strip of my lsp by either dawn wash or alcohol wipe down before polishing? I was going to hit my car with 105/205 tomorrow but I have a good coat of DG105 on there. Do I really need to strip it off? Can't I just start polishing and the M105 will take care of the lsp and still correct?

ScottB
05-21-2009, 05:59 PM
nope ... polishing, paint cleaning lotions all strip old wax and sealants anyhoo. One is abrasive other chemical. Leave Dawn in the kitchen !

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
I always do an ipa wipe down to insure the surface is cleaned of an lsp. This way you are sure not to encounter any type of the polish hydroplaning over the paint and not getting the best correction.

drastic_detail
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I always do an ipa wipe down to insure the surface is cleaned of an lsp. This way you are sure not to encounter any type of the polish hydroplaning over the paint and not getting the best correction.

Can you explane how you do your ipa wipedown?

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I will wash the vehicle first, dry it, then thoroughly spray ipa on the paint and wipe down. I check the paint with water to make sure it does not bead at all before starting my polishing.

Rsurfer
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM
That's called the OCD way! LOL It's funny cause that's exactly what I do before polishing.

Emile
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I almost never do an IPA wipe-down before I polish. I have heard hear and there that doing an IPA wipe-down before polishing will provide the best behavior, but I usually just mist the pad with a quick detailer (before applying the polish) to eliminate any polishing weirdness.

Bert31
05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
This is one of those topics that never generates much agreement. I personally like to stip my paint before hand, many other very skilled detailers say I am wasting time.

Rsurfer
05-22-2009, 04:01 PM
This is one of those topics that never generates much agreement. I personally like to stip my paint before hand, many other very skilled detailers say I am wasting time.
Yeah Bert, but we don't have LSP stuck to our polishing pad, just pure clean polish.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I almost never do an IPA wipe-down before I polish. I have heard hear and there that doing an IPA wipe-down before polishing will provide the best behavior, but I usually just mist the pad with a quick detailer (before applying the polish) to eliminate any polishing weirdness.

Using a QD to prime a pad is a big no no. Plus you are just enhancing the hydroplaning effect by doing that.

killrflake
05-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Using a QD to prime a pad is a big no no. Plus you are just enhancing the hydroplaning effect by doing that.
I've read priming the pad with a quick spray of plain water works and it's been said applying a very thin coat of the product you are about to use is a good way to start off.

loudog2
05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Just was it with citrus wash to strip the LSP. That would be the easiest way. Your washing it before you polish it, right?