PDA

View Full Version : Review of DoDo Juice Rubbishboy’s Juiced Edition and Original Edition

agpatel
05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Review of DoDo Juice Rubbishboy’s Juiced Edition and Original Edition

So I got my order of the Carnauba Canister (http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-juice-carnauba-canister.html) (http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-juice-carnauba-canister.html)

It contains a panel pot, 30 ml of the following:
1. Carnauba Flakes - Pretty cool for any detailing fanatic
2. DoDo Juice Flat Earth - 70% carnauba is hard as a rock
3. DoDo Juice Rubbishboy’s Juiced Edition - Great orange smell and feel
4. Rubbishboy’s Original Edition - Hard wax with a slight orange scent

So this is my first review and a little bit intimidated by all the other reviews on this site so lets see how this goes.

So i got the AG package and could not wait so i pulled my Tornado Red GTI MkV out and cleaned off a panel to test the tow wax's on. I used Menz 106FF on a LC CCS white pad with a Porter Cable to polish the surface and get a good base for the wax's. Cleaned the area with IPA (50/50 mix).

Juiced Edition:
It goes on pretty smooth and easy to apply. I applied the wax by hand and was easy to spread a thin coat. Once the wax dried I buffed the wax off with a Cobra Deluxe MF and the residue came off without much trouble. It left a very slick surface and the reflection was nice and crisp.

Original Edition:
This wax is what I really got this sample pack for as the only way to get it is from the UK from Rubbishboy himself. So i took a little wax, via scraping the surface with a knife, and put it in my palm and let the heat do its majic. I applyed the wax onto the paint surface and it spread easily and same as the Juiced i let it dry and removed it with a MF. The removal was easy as well and was buffed to a perfect shine. The surface was slick with a deep shine and gloss.

Comparison:

Application - Win Juiced
Both wax's were pretty easy to apply but the edge will have to go to the Juiced version as it was made to be easy to apply by foam applicator or by hand. The OE is a little harder to apply but only because of the way you have to apply it is not easy to get at first.

Removal - Win Both
Both wax's were easy to remove with a good MF and buffed to a nice shine. I would say both are easy to remove

24 Hour Cure Slickness - Win Both
After a 24 hour curing time the slickness of both are about the same. I am unable to tell by feel which wide of the panel was JE and which was OE. I asked my girlfriend and she was also unable to tell me any differance but was able to tell a difference were no wax was applied, taped area between the two.

Shine - Win Both
Once again after 24 hrs after the initial application the shine in sunlight was about the same. I used led lights, halogen lights, parked in direct sunlight and could not see with my eyes the difference between the two wax's as far as shine goes.

Depth - Slight Edge to OE
Depth and crispness of the reflection between the two are very similar with a slight edge to OE. Putting a ruler on the paint surface the OE had a crisper reflection by a little bit than the JE. I was able to see the marking on the ruler better on the OE. But in all the two were very similar.

Beading - Win Both
After 24 hrs the beading of both were about the same, as this was a vertical panel most if not all the water just ran right off. This is expected after only 24 hours past application.

All in all to me both are about the same. I do not have anything on durability as they were just applied. I will be doing a better test soon when I do a full detail i will do half the hood in OE and the other half in JE and this will help me check out durability and how it looks on a larger area.

I say that both are good buys, if you want a true homemade wax that is made one by one i would go with OE, if you want a wax that is easy to apply and gives a great shine and depth i would go with JE as it is easily avalable state side.

Below are some pics i tried to take of the sample panel. The left side is the JE and the right side is the OE. Sorry for the horrable pic (If anyone has sugestions on taking better pics please PM me. I am using a normal point and shout)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WnEZT4yML8k/ShWi1kAQBhI/AAAAAAAAALM/Bp-JpGMmII0/s720/DSC00340.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WnEZT4yML8k/ShWi4t9utlI/AAAAAAAAALQ/p3LJJMDul90/s720/DSC00341.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WnEZT4yML8k/ShWjLzpsNmI/AAAAAAAAALs/A786FxEJAUg/s720/DSC00347.JPG

They are from about the same angle just played with some settings trying to capture it the best. Like I said any help on taking the pics would be much appreciated.

If anyone else has used both JE and OE please share your opinions on the difference as i am wondering what others think. I will be the first to admit that I have a hard time telling difference between some waxes as I do not have much experience with seeing different LSPs but trying to slowly learn and train my eyes.

I hope this review is a good start, please let me know if I should do anything different. I know i should have taken more pics of beading and what not but didnt have my camera. :o

loudog2
05-21-2009, 04:00 PM
I use RBOE and love it. The only downside is they are both dust magnets. I must admitt the combo of wolfgang DGPS and fuzion do decrease dust attraction. But the look of RBOE is great.

agpatel
05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
That is the next combo I would like to try. I want to go for durability but looks as well. With durability being in the 3-4 week range. The only thing is that its very hard for me to tell the difference between LSPs currently. So its almost like I am wasting time as if I cant tell the difference then why keep looking. But I feel like if I try enough and use a few and maybe do a side by side I can "learn" to spot difference better between depth, gloss, wetness and what not. Oh well I will admit its fun playing around.

Have you tried using Dodo juice detail spray to help try and lessen the dust attraction as the detail spray has some sealant in it.

loudog2
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I use FK 425 and chemical guys sythetic QD's. They are both anti-static sprays. It helps, but from the time of application, to the 12 hour cure time. By the time you use the QD, dust is all over the car. It is the same with souveran. RBOE, RBJE and souveran look awsome. But the fact is carnuba's attract dust.

02CAMSS
05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice review! I own both and I think OE looks better than juiced.

sal329
05-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Nice review. I am looking to pick up some RBOE

ScottB
05-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I think the samplers are truly a great option and best way to try all the Dodo's before picking out the one or two needed/wanted.

supercharged
05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I think the samplers are truly a great option and best way to try all the Dodo's before picking out the one or two needed/wanted.
:iagree::whs:, this way you can try it out and really decide for yourself wheather you want that wax or not, even if it means more $$$ per oz...
Thanks for a review.

44annex
05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Agree that the dodo samples are a good deal of fun to use . Also agree that dodo seems to be a dust magnet . Have been using the california duster alot since it has not rained in days here in NY .

agpatel
05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
The samples are the best I wish you could get them for all the wax's out there but I know that they cost more to make for the manuf.

Meghan
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Awesome review, this is extactly what I like to see with reviews, Dodo line is a fun wax line, and the sample pots are great ways to try out different waxes without the spending all the cash.

ScottB
05-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Agree that the dodo samples are a good deal of fun to use . Also agree that dodo seems to be a dust magnet . Have been using the california duster alot since it has not rained in days here in NY .

waxes in general seem to attract more dust, likely due to the use of oils and other properties. Some spray waxes like Four Star and Souveran seem to help as well as FK425.

44annex
05-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I have read that on this forum , and I believe it . The purple haze seems to be very attractive to dust , pollen , and birds too. I love the deepness that I see when the dust is removed , so it is very worth the tradeoff . I put on the dodo a bit backwards , soft wax then a hard < p.haze then supernatural 2 days later>. I'm happy with the result . Thank you for your response .