PDA

View Full Version : Buffing question: help-a-noob :-)

libtech
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I'm not really new but I haven't been around in a long time. I won't even say how long it's been since I detailed my car because some of y'all might stroke out. :p

Be that as it may, I am now able to go back to detailing, and I'm buying a Flex and a bunch of other stuff to make it go more easily and quicker.

One thing I'm interested in expediting with the Flex is buffing. Can one of you with more experience than me please tell me if the stuff in the Dual Action Microfiber Bonnet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-bonnet.html) will fit the Flex's 6" backing plate? The info on the webpage indicates not, but I know dimensions can often be "fudged". Would it be dicey to risk using these bonnets with the Flex?

Help is much appreciated, the sooner the better. My fingers are itching to make my big ol' order. ;)

Thanks!

Harleyguy
05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I would call Ag they will more then happy to answer your qustions.I know they have the edge adapter now so you can use the edge pads.

Rsurfer
05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Well, I'm not really new but I haven't been around in a long time. I won't even say how long it's been since I detailed my car because some of y'all might stroke out. :p

Be that as it may, I am now able to go back to detailing, and I'm buying a Flex and a bunch of other stuff to make it go more easily and quicker.

One thing I'm interested in expediting with the Flex is buffing. Can one of you with more experience than me please tell me if the stuff in the Dual Action Microfiber Bonnet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-bonnet.html) will fit the Flex's 6" backing plate? The info on the webpage indicates not, but I know dimensions can often be "fudged". Would it be dicey to risk using these bonnets with the Flex?

Help is much appreciated, the sooner the better. My fingers are itching to make my big ol' order. ;)

Thanks!The bonnets should fit a 6.5" pad. They have an elastic band and should stretch.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-20-2009, 08:48 PM
The bonnets should fit a 6.5" pad. They have an elastic band and should stretch.

I bet you say the samething about your underwear.:D

libtech
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Welp, the bonnets *look* like they'll fit the Flex, but you just never know. Sure would suck if the bonnets flew off in mid-detail and I was to grind the bare backing plate into my paint. :eek:

So, I guess I will call AG [again] tomorrow. I was just hoping to get some advice tonight so I could make my order ASAP. I've been trying to complete it all week, but every time I try I run across another question I need to ask about something I'm getting or might need to get. So I stop my order process to call AG or to read the forum and website before I proceed. This is the last thing I need to clarify before I drop a pretty hefty chunk of change, though, and since I live in FL I'm hoping I can still get my stuff by Friday. It's been a long time since I've done a good detail on my car and I'm jonesing!

Emile
05-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I can tell you that I use that bonnet kit with my Porter Cable 7424 and it works fantastic. I just stick the wool pad to my backing plate and then wrap the bonnet around the wool pad. When the bonnet clogs up, I just remove the bonnet and flip it inside-out and keep going.

If I turn on the machine and put it at speed 3 or 4 just letting it spin free in the air, the bonnet will fly off after like 10 seconds. It needs to be on a surface, and I imagine this would happen to the Flex also. I have not noticed my PC and my bonnets causing any new paint imperfections when buffing off waxes and sealants, but I was told by killrwheels that you should not use this method to buff off a polish as it may cause the polish to instill new imperfections in the paint.

And yeah, it should fit fine over 6.5" pads.