PDA

View Full Version : MF Help

agpatel
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
So i got my order from AG this afternoon, Dodo's Nuba Canister. I wanted to see how the Juiced and OE Rubbish boys was so i qd-ed a panel on my car and took out the PC and used 106FF on a white pad to get a good base and then did a IPA wipe down. I applied the two waxes side by sad. To be honest hard to tell the difference between the two but will check up on durably and do a write up. But anyways i was cleaning up and was spilled some water on my MFs and noticed it repelled water! Nope, did not soak it up at all just beaded on there, so i thought oh it may be from wiping off the wax, so i opened up my stash of Mfs and put some water on them and all of them repealed water even my ww drying towel, used it last week to dry off the car. All of them from my Cobra ww, cobra deluxe ones, the only ones that didn't were the vroom ones i just bought today and washed. I normally wash all my mfs in micro-restore on hot water. So in a panic i put them all in the wash right now with some Tide Free with some vinegar in the fabric softener compartment, i never use the compartment for fabric softeners. Before i put this load in i ran the washer with some soap to make sure everything was cleaned. But i think i am pretty much screwed and will need to replace of them as i think they are messed up. I hope you guys have some good news for me. btw, how are the vroom mfs, they are the 12 pack were you get white and gray ones? I thought they were pretty soft, they are a 80/20 blend. Was going to get them just for the inside and door jambs but now may have to use them to remove polishes and what not.

Ok that's end of my rant sorry for it being so long!

ScottB
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
could someone have added fabric softner to originally washing ?? I would rewash with Microrestore and hot water and see if a clear difference once done.

agpatel
05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Dont use fabric softener and if I do its from the Downy ball. Well I have washed them with Tide Free and it helped a bit, then i did another run with hot water and tide with vinegar and the water does not roll off instantly now but soaks in slowly. Tomorrow I am doing my gf's moms car so after that I think I will get a 5 gal pale of hot water and put some microrestore in there and let it soak for a hr and then give them a wash.

ScottB
05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
boiling is certainly another step as needed, but using the Microrestore and some time to soak should help. I dont use store cleaners like Tide as some still add scents and softners that can effect my towels. I do use dryer balls with the MF to tame a bit of the static.

agpatel
05-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Tide Free is suppose to be scent and softener free from asking them but who knows? I know a few people use them. Oh well, if all else fails time to buy new Mfs :)

ScottB
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Tide Free is suppose to be scent and softener free from asking them but who knows? I know a few people use them. Oh well, if all else fails time to buy new Mfs :)

I hope it doesnt come to that. Unless of course you want to and have a MF fever like me.

agpatel
05-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Haha, I hope it does not as well as I dont have the funds to get all new ones. But I guess you have to work with what you have. They still work and take polish off without any marking, I used them today to detail a car. I guess I just wait and see, and slowly get new ones to make it less painful.

CharlesW
05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Fortunately, I have never had your problem, but I have read where people have more or less rstored their MF towels by boiling them.
As I remember it, they did it to towels that were no longer absorbing water well, but it also seems like it involved older towels.
I seem to remember the comment that some sort of film or contaminant was visible on top of the water the towels were being boiled in.

Try one towel in a sauce pan and see it it makes a difference befor you go to the trouble of boiling all of them.

agpatel
05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks, I will try to find a post on how to do it and try it on a few of mine this weekend hopefully.

CharlesW
05-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks, I will try to find a post on how to do it and try it on a few of mine this weekend hopefully.
Here you go. The thread refers to linting, but it has a lot of information about the boiling process.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/8902-boiled-linting-mf.html