PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do you stop wiper chatter?

Pages : [1] 2

Brandon1
05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!:buffing:

I put on new wipers...no help.

I put Aquapel on the glass...no help.

I put 303 Wiper Treatment...seemed to get worse.

I wax, treat, quick detail, clean, polish the glass...nothing helps.

Other cars I detail in the family the same way, have no problems, mine does it after about the 2nd wipe on the windshield.

If I may, wth can I do to stop chatter?

BenzDetailer
05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Increase the tension at the base of the wiper arm. If they are not adjsutable and you dont want to replace them bexause the vehicle is newer. A cable tie loop through one row of the spring will tighten it up 3 to 5%.

ScottB
05-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I replace the blades, was told the design of some blades (not adhering to glass) can often be the culprit of that chatter.

mbkite
05-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I usto be a milton bradly mechanic and mb has tools and gauges for every thing .
what you do is twist the arm so the blade rides 90 deg to the glass

img
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/earplugs.jpg (javascript:;)

bukxanger
05-20-2009, 07:33 PM
lol...

Harleyguy
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Mbkite is correct i do have a gauge that you use to adjust the arm.Also no need to use a tie wrap to increase tension.What you can do is lift the wiper arm up hold the end in one hand and give it a slight bend in the middle of the arm just enough to make a small arc not enough to do damage.Also try removing all the wax and any other treatments on the windshield i use prep-sol.Hope that helps a little

smokin' mark
05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I had the same problem. It didn't go away until I clayed the windshield.

dan45hk
05-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Remove any trace of any product on the windshield, that should help a lot.

Emile
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
It's funny you bring this topic up. I have this problem and it drives me nuts. When I had my 2003 G35 Coupe, I had to have the wiper arm motor replaced because the chattering was so bad and there was a Technical Service Bulletin for this issue. Both my 06 G35C and my 08 WRX have a bit of chatter on the driver's side wiper of both vehicles but nothing I can't handle. Using Rain-X or different waxes and sealants seems to not have much of an effect, especially since windshield wipers seem to wipe away that initial slickness of the product very quickly.

My resolution has been to use the more expensive flexible wiper blades such as the Bosch ICON or Rain-X Latitude wiper blades. They seem to provide smoother wiping action which usually eliminates the chatter. Also, right when it starts raining, I like to use the windshield washers for a few seconds as for whatever reason, that also helps to minimize chatter.

Brandon1
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
I have the Latitude blades and it's horrible. Never had a problem with stock blades, I may just pick some of the stockers up.

bcwang
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I think any product on the windshield, including aquapel, can cause chatter. I'd really clean the windshield as well as possible, clay, IPA, glass polish, window cleaner, etc... everything you can throw at it just to try to get everything off. Don't use a wash that has polymers or wax in it, that'll get on the windshield and can cause the same issues.

Matt
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Also, some glass cleaners contain either silicone or wax in them to make the glass shine, try to avoid using those types of glass cleaner on the windshield as it will make the wipers smear and chatter sometimes as well.

I find that a good way to test, is to take a clean (drinking) glass from the dishwasher, one that's not beading water in any way because it is so clean, then spray some glass cleaner on the outside of the glass and wipe it off like you would do with your windshield. Do this a couple of times, and if you notice that the glass then repels, or beads the water, the glass cleaner has silicone of some sort of wax in it.

Brandon1
05-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Well if the waxes/cleaners/aquapel is whats causing the chatter, then how do I keep the windshield beading up in a rainstorm or protected from water spots?

Al-53
05-21-2009, 06:01 PM
wax is a #1 cause of chatter on a windshield...it is grabby on the rubber....I would clean the windsheild with a glass polish or a AIO type product.....and start over with either Aquapel or a sealant..no wax....some rubber will not chatter..but most will....some blades are made from silicone rubber also...

i just use either DG rain repell or Aquawax..never a chatter and do not need wipers over 40MPH...water just blows off

Al