PDA

View Full Version : Black Car and SIP Oily Residue

Pages : [1] 2

Chalky
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Spent the last couple of days working on black C6. Used SIP/PC 7424 with new orange pads and worked it in for approx 5 minutes per section. Wiped it down but car seems to have an oily sheen on it after wiping down. Obviously, surface is not condusive for applying a wax.

Does a nice job on surface as far as mild light blends. Now if I can just find a way to get remaining SIP residual oil off surface.

Chalky
05-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Never mind. Just read sticky.
Still not sure why the SIp never seemed to brake down and haze up adequately.

Rsurfer
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Sip with an orange pad will leave slight hazing. You need to finish down SIP with 106 or 85rd with a white pad and add one more step with a blue pad for jeweling down the paint. Then do an IPA wipe down, inspect in full sun before waxing/sealing.

Chalky
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for reply. Question, what compound do you use with the blue pad or do you just continue working with 106 left on car from white pad?

Sorry but what is IPA? Been using Zaino to long!:buffing:

redboost10
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
isopropyl alcohol 50/50 with water.

A4 1.8tqm
05-19-2009, 05:03 PM
+1 for IPA wipe down. This will remove any left over oils and residues that may be hiding/filling imperfections.

Chalky
05-19-2009, 05:21 PM
OK, now, what about jeweling with blue pad. Can someone explain the process and with what compound?

If I have to do this again, I just want to make sure I do it right using methods/products that are new to me.

I Love my black car and I trust that the SIP and other products will give me a finish to love. Just want to get to a point where I drive it More than I wax/polish it!

nitro78
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
isopropyl alcohol 50/50 with water.

just use ipa straight up. no need to dilute unless youre trying to stretch the product imo

ScottB
05-19-2009, 05:31 PM
using two much Menzerna can create issues with wipe off, use sparingly. Also use an IPA (see definition on Corvetteforum, smiling) as wanted to guage polishing ability panel by panel.

A4 1.8tqm
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Just use your lightest cut polish with a blue pad to 'Jewel'. I use FPII

Harleyguy
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Post some pictures of your C6 before and after curious to see how well SIP on the Pc works out for you .Also compound isn't used for polishing use some 106Fa for Polishing 85rd for jeweling if needed .

Rsurfer
05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Chalky, just so that there is no confusion:
SIP to polish
106FA second polish to remove any hazing left by SIP
85RD for jeweling the paint if wanted, You can try a blue pad and 106 for final step.
IPA wipe down. Inspect in sun for any marring, correct as needed and seal or wax or both.

Chalky
05-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Post some pictures of your C6 before and after curious to see how well SIP on the PC works out for you .Also compound isn't used for polishing use some 106Fa for Polishing 85rd for jeweling if needed .

Car actually looks very good so I am afraid pics would not be of much value. I do need to pick up a detailing light set though. (probably would not be quite so happy about current finish) :)

So far, I have the new SIP and a Super polish from Menzerna. Thought I had all I needed for a black car. Looks like I need a 3rd step for jeweling.

PC is now FS. I found a super deal on a Flex and it should be here Thursday. Running down to BG for a few days. Will probably start detailing again when I get back. May be just me but the PC seems to really cut very slow even with SIP even for minor surface imperfections.

Thanks for the info. I see by the avatar I am not alone!

Harleyguy
05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Car actually looks very good so I am afraid pics would not be of much value. I do need to pick up a detailing light set though. (probably would not be quite so happy about current finish) :)

So far, I have the new SIP and a Super polish from Mez. Thought I had all I needed for a black car. Looks like I need a 3rd step for jeweling.

PC is now FS. I found a super deal on a Flex and it should be here Thursday. Running down to BG for a few days. Will probably start detailing again when I get back. May be just me but the PC seems to really cut very slow even with SIP even for minor surface imperfections.

Thanks for the info. I see by the avatar I am not alone!The pc cuts really slow on vettes.I only use a rotary but your flex should really kick up a notch.Once you get your flex you won't be using that Pc anymore i'am willing to bet on that

Chalky
05-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Just received my Flex. Any tips on speed setting/pad combo with SIP on a black car. If you have a link, that would be great!

Just got back from a trip, washed and cleaned the car. Realized I had some water spotting from a previous wash. Used an orange pad, SIP and a 3 setting. Seemed to do a nice job in removing spot that PC 7424 left.