PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rust Protection Underhood?

SeaD
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi,

I have a friend who had the Ford dealership spray the rust protection on when he got his Mustang about 4 years ago, and now he wants to look at cleaning up the engine compartment of all the overspray.

Does anyone know what is the best product to cut through that sticky mess? I have tried an automotive simple green degreaser, and it sort of works, but requires a lot of elbow grease to get it off.

Just wondering if there is anything better.

Thanks,

Sean

ANDYS87
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
There's probably better stuff to use, but I used WD-40 on mine. Sprayed the areas down, let sit for a while, then wiped like hell. Took a while, but turned out nice.

ANDYS87
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Is yours undercoating or the clear, waxy stuff? Mine was the clear crap.

redboost10
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
if it does happen to be the undercoating stuff, which i doubt it is being under the hood, you can use dry ice and that stuff will remove itself basically with very very little cleaning needed afterwards.

jugodegolf
05-23-2009, 06:23 AM
There's probably better stuff to use, but I used WD-40 on mine. Sprayed the areas down, let sit for a while, then wiped like hell. Took a while, but turned out nice.

Would add to have a small bowl of straight dawn. Using a decent size paintbrush or some of the fancy ones I've seen here. My process dip and swirl one area at a time. I use old towels and small spray bottle of straight water to do each section at a time.(Note skip the wipe like hell from above)Follow up with favorite quick detailer wax. Have always had great results.