PDA

View Full Version : Tough cars to keep clean!

waltj2k
05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I recently bought an 05 Acura TL Nighthawk Black Pearl.....Looks Black during the day Blue undercoat shows up better at night. Cool color but a pain in the Arse to keep clean. I dont know what I was thinking when I bought this Black car other than I got a good deal on it.

Washed it this morning before work. I dont have a shaded area to wash the car so being Black it warms up pretty fast. The morning temp at this time was around 60. Get her washed and dried and man water spots all over and of course the spots that get missed show up.

What I have learned is the Acura TL is tougher to clean than my last car a Nissan Maxima. The TL has many little grooves and angles that can easily be missed. Example there is a groove that runs the length of the car on the same line as the door handle. Using my schmitt it doesn't get into the groove with a regular wipe you have to make a point to use the edge of the schmitt to get the dirt out. The TL's door handles are the pull out type. You can miss here as well. The Door trim also seems a little thicker so you have to make sure you pay close attention to this area. I kinda pinch it between my middle finger and thumb. Then the skirts on the bottom of the car are require you to open the door to completely clean them off.

In owning this car the last few months what I have noticed is the rear of the car gets completely filthy. The rear bumper has broad ledge that just hold on to the dirt.

In immediate contrast my I was marveling at my moms TSX that I cleaned a couple of weeks ago. It still looked clean though it had been driven a few times. How I miss Silver. Also easy to clean no odd angles or lines to miss.

So I have a Black car with interesting angles. I may have more a detailing challenge than I wished for. Love the car though but when it comes to trying to keep this clean. This will be an uphill battle.

So I think the Acura TL has some challenges to clean. What cars do you guys find challenging?

Blackthorn One
05-18-2009, 02:10 PM
You can use a paintbrush to clean those nooks and crannies better, like boars hair or 100% horse hair. wrap the metal on the horsehair brush with electrical tape to prevent scratching the paint accidentally.

ScottL
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I hear ya, Walt!!

I bought a 2009 Ford Flex in Dark Ink Mettalic Blue, and people swear it is really black! This car is a dirt magnet. I did a full clay, polish, wax on it last Saturday and it was already looking poor again by Sunday evening after driving it around town.

I really love the vehicle, but in the future I am steering clear of any vehicle that dark!!!

Good luck!

Scott

BenzDetailer
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
WALTJ2K - I use a thin Microfiber wrapped around a credit card / flat hotle key for all thin panel joints like you are decribing. I use it with wash water and a MF thats wet on the front end and a dry MF on the drying stage. It is amazing what dirt lies in all those groves. I also wax them using the same method.

redboost10
05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
my race car is black as well, i recently started using fk425 and its pretty wierd how it does not attract dust/dirt as much as it did before. i recommend giving it a try.

jake66
05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
my race car is black as well, i recently started using fk425 and its pretty wierd how it does not attract dust/dirt as much as it did before. i recommend giving it a try.
I may have to try that, we live on a gravel road and have three black rides.:eek:

redboost10
05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
im judging this based off of the car sitting in my garage. since i have started using fk425, it just seems like less dust settles on it now...

termigator
05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
I used to have an 02' TL-S of the same color. To me it was one of the most beautiful colors out there, but yeah, it was a real pain to maintain. The reward was high, but, like all black colors, the reward didn't last that long. I didn't have to deal with all the nooks and crannies you have to deal with, so I had it a little easier.:D

waltj2k
05-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Nighthawk Black Pearl is gorgeous. I always chuckle when I am out at night and the car is suddenly this deep shade of Blue.

BenzDetailer: Great suggestion about the credit card. I will have to try that next time. It does seem like a quick way to get those edges 1st then use the Schmitt to regularly wash the car.

Redboost10: I will have to read up on fk425.