PDA

View Full Version : Upper Body Workout with a Cyclo

Totoland Mach
09-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Man, my arms are double sore! I traded my neighbor some tree removal work for polishing this former rental truck. When Penske removed their graphics, the fiberglass was nice...but the rest of the box van had the outlines.

Used a Cyclo + orange pads + #83. Didn't go past there because they are going to apply their own company graphics. After that, I'll use some Wolfgang sealant on the box portion.

Before pics:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/FormerRentalTruck_Before_BackDoor.jpg

Another Before:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/FormerRentalTruck_Before.jpg

Finished the box portion after 5 hours (maybe it's time for the rotary)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/FormerRentalTruck_After2.jpg

I think a rotary + some stronger product than #83 would have been faster

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/FormerRentalTruck_After.jpg

My arms are sore from using a Cyclo on slab sides!

See You Folks!

Toto

scottinflorida
09-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Dude, that is some really, really impressive work you did!

I had no idea that a commercial vehicle could be repaired like that, and by hand no less.

I'm very impressed.

Nice work.

S>
ScottInFlorida

ScottB
09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Your better than I ... first I probably would have declined to help clean that box truck. Second, if I did, we would have had the Hitachi Rotary cutting into the paint and oxidation rather quickly. Nice work !!

supercharged
09-03-2006, 12:50 AM
The nice job! How did your neighbor like it?

Totoland Mach
09-03-2006, 05:34 AM
killrwheels: I think it worked out good for both of us. The tree removal quote I got was $500. So, with an even trade (we both finished the work about the same time) it worked out fine.

Maybe it's time to look at a Hitachi or Makita and practice some rotary work. The Cyclo was a better tool than the pc, but the rotary probably could have cut the time even more.

supercharged: He likes it a lot! His company graphics are going on it next week and I'll put a coat of Wofgang DGS (which will be pretty easy)

See Ya Folks...going to the Good Guys show today. For those that haven't seen this event: it's a giant car show/auction/swap meet. 3,000+ street rods and customs (nothing newer than 1972 model). They hold it in the infield of Kansas Speedway. Big event.

Surfer
09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
You have much patience Daniel-Son. lol, no way would I want that job. I had aneighbor who asked me if I wanted to do his lifted Excursion. Ha, told him he could use some of my stuff and do it himself, which he did. I only clean our cars I don't detail others, even with the cash he offered I still declined.

Totoland Mach
09-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I talked to the Meguiars reps at the Good Guys Car Show this morning. They recommended the marine gel-coat products for those box vans. Probably could have reduced the polish time a bunch.

Toto

joe.p
09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
you did a great job,after detailing that truck i feel your pain.
I think it was cool you did a trade off with him ..

Kelso
09-04-2006, 12:42 AM
ive had to do some vans/rigs/ motorhomes in the same condition. my recommendation, if you can get it, is Granitize 0-6 resin cleaner. remover heavy oxidation very good, especially on those surfaces. leaves a nice glossy finish but usually its tough to remove it all so i recommend buffing what you can(by machine, dont try by hand!) and going over it with something else. we get this stuff at work, its the type of stuff that makes you hope for an oxidized motorhome, just for the challenge:)

Totoland Mach
09-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Kelso: thanks for the info. I might have 3-4 more of these to do for some decent dollars, so I'll get some of that product.

I appreciate the information.

Toto

Djmigs
09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
LOOOOKING GOOOD....Shiny!!!!!
great work Toto....

And what the rep said is correct and what i was told too...I believe the number is Meguiars #49 rv/marine line then after that your choice of wax yes it still a two step....

kellyinkc
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey Toto, you are nutz! Looks good. I'm doin a Mazda tomorrow.
Missed Good Guy's. Wanted to get some different products.

FloridaNative
09-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Great job Toto!:applause: