PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan

JCole
05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi All,

My husband and I have a 1932 Ford Cropped Top. We purchased it 4 years ago and had some work done on it. A new radiator. When it was installed some of the paint came off so I've been trying to find instructions on how best to repair it ourselves. Any suggestions would be welcome or if anyone could tell us some good websites to visit, that would be great. We go to the Dream Cruise and we're trying to get it in shape. Thanks

Buddy
05-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Welcome...:welcome::D

loudog2
05-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Welcome!! Sorry, I don't know much about painting cars. But, I can help you after it is painted:D

termigator
05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
:welcome:How extensive of a paint job are you looking at? I repainted the side of the bumper on my wife's 07' Accord a few weeks ago and the job came out a lot better than I thought, but I also went through a great deal of trial and error (and anxiety!) before finally getting it decent.

JCole
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Our car has some scrapes where the paint has come off, but not down to the metal, stone chips, again, not down to the metal either, just the primer. There is a small spot on the side of the radiator housing where it is down to the metal and the paint has chipped off, almost dime size. Our car is Cardinal Red., solid, and the paint has faded in some spots. I'm really anxious about how this is going to turn out and I don't want to mess it up. My husband and I are extremely detail oriented (me, more). Just wondered if anyone can give us some tips on the best way to go.
We appreciate any input.
ThanksFeed back please

termigator
05-18-2009, 02:46 PM
It's going to be very hard to blend red. My wife's car is single stage white, so it hides imperfections fairly well. I had a few scrapes on the bumper that went past the paint and into the black plastic. I filled the gouges with putty and primer and then spray painted the area with matching spray paint from Duplicolor. It actually came out really bad because I sprayed too much and the paint ran. Luckily, I found out about Megiuar's sanding blocks which are made specifically to level paint. Going by the instructions, I was able to level the paint to an acceptable finish before polishing it with various compounds and polishes.
You can PM me if you want more detail about what I did, but I would not recommend what I did to anybody because it'll definitely freak you out. I forgot who said it first, but remember, "It will look a lot worse before it looks better.":cheers:

JCole
05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for answering so quickly. Appreciate it.

supercharged
05-18-2009, 09:41 PM
:welcome:

crash93ssei
05-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Welcome! Woodward Dream Cruise is a great time! Went last year for my first time, this year my friend and I are spending the entire weekend down there!

Great site here, don't hesitate to ask questions!