PDA

View Full Version : Walked away from a Detail Job

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BenzDetailer
05-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Who else has walked away from work because of the client or the vehicle?
We have all seen jobs that were difficult that we knew would take a long time - but have you ever just refused work?

Today after working on a hood for 3 hours on a 12 year old car that I was asked to do a detail on I kindly told the client that it would not be profitable for me to continue. I also told them there would be no cahrge for what I had completed. My reasoning was I was never going to return this finish to anything close to my acceptable standards. I love a great challenge but was not willing to put my reputation on the line for what would be an 80 percent job at best. So after 3 hours and $15.00 worth of product I kindly bowed out. As a courtesy to the customer I also gave them a $50.00 Olive Garden Gift Card and sent them on their way.

Please share any other stories you might have of "JUST SAYING NO THANKS":buffing:

richy
05-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Dude, that's going above and beyond.

AeroCleanse
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I charge by the hour, so its always profitable to continue.

supercharged
05-17-2009, 03:02 PM
that's why you should do a test panel with a client first, before determining the final cost...

BearValley
05-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Dude, that's going above and beyond.
I agree and that will likely get you some excellent referrals in the future.

:cheers:

Brian_Brice
05-17-2009, 04:47 PM
First of all, if its not going to be proffiitable to you, you didn't sell the job right. Not ever job requires the same amount of time and care. If you quote a guy x amount, then regardless what the job entails you should finish it. If you can remove 80% of the defects, then another pass with initial compound would probably bump it to 90%.

No offense but if this is the case I'd say your reputation would take a hit for the fact you quoted a job, then couldn't deliver results, or chose not to due to the difficulty of the job at hand. Of course you shouldn't charge the guy for your time, even if the hood is in better condition, imo not charging him is the least you can do.

Sounds to me like you set yourself up on this walk away from the get go. I don't know what type services you offer, or how you sell your work, but if attempting to 'correct' paint, your clients should be made aware that some conditions could easily require more than a days work. From what I get from your post and you being so protective of your reputation, you make it sound like every car you work on is polished perfect. If that's the case I don't see how you could have a set rate for every car.

I have underbid several jobs, but always delivered what they were paying for. My reputation is not on trial just because client x requested a 1 step correction and was left with x amount of remaining marring, and client y's paint is now perfect, because client y paid much more than client x.

Also I fail to see how you went through 15 dollars worth of products after only semi working on the hood. Even if you had washed, clayed, cleaned and dressed all wheels and tires you shouldn't be close to 15 dollars, maybe you're using too much product (way too much more like it) unless or course you're using vintage melted down in your wash solution?

Rsurfer
05-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I agree with Supercharged. Did you ask for more money? I would have finished the car as best as I could rather than return it with a nice hood and the rest looking crappy. This will not look good to their friends and neighbors regardless of the $50 gift certificate.

renegademobiledetailing
05-17-2009, 07:02 PM
:iagree: Usually from initial contact you can tell what type of person the "potential client" is. You can tell if the person is the type that wants a $600 detail for $150. You dont want those types of clients.

But i agree with what was said above. I would much rather keep a good name and finish a job than to walk away. I have done it before. Yeah it sucks, but you learn from your mistakes.

I typically wont promise any results until i see the vehicle and do a proper inspection. After seeing the vehicle you should then have a good idea of what you can make it look like. Dont promise something that you cant do/deliver.

BenzDetailer
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your input Brian I see your point !

trhland
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
ive never walked away from anyjob . with landscaping . ive qoited jobs. and started them and relized i would lose money in the long run but never the less finished the job. luckely this doesnt happen often ..

mobiledr.detail313
05-17-2009, 07:32 PM
just did that today on a black cadillac deville(1999) it was swirled up unlike anything ive seen before also had deep scratches 1000's of surface scratches and it was overlyoxidated <------look at new word.....lol

well this client only wanted to spend $150.00 i told him $275.00 and that was being generous, i told him ill bring the black back to life but made not promise to remove all scrathches n swirls(i hate doing that but if i can satisfy instead of a guarantee it works out to both out advantages) i really wanted to turn the job down but since we spoke on the phone didnt want to do that

Brian_Brice
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Absolutely I have charged for 80% correction. Hell I charge for 0% correction, its called a wash and wax.

Not everyone wants to spend 600-1000 dollars on a full correction detail. Good for you 100% of the people you work for do, glad to hear you tapped into a great market!

That being said, when I go over a car with the owner, I explain what he/she can expect from single to multistep correction procedures, and while this isn't my full time occupation either, I am not going to turn down a $400.00 minor correction. It may be a hobby to you but its still a business, and those one step or two step jobs is where you will learn the most out of many mildly aggressive products, wouldn't that be a great learning platform for your "hobby"?

wytstang
05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
http://pics.livejournal.com/twoflower/pic/0002e4dt

Wendell Jarvis
05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I learned alot from this Job - But I always try to over deliver - It is the one flaw in my business. Fortunately at the end of the day this is not my main source of income and continues to be more of a Hobby that I figured out how to make money with. I really believe I did know this client and that is why I went above and beyond - and at the same time kept my reputation solid. I feel the client came out ahead. The client found the hood totally acceptable in their eyes but I could not put my name on it and sleep at night. Brian Brice may be willing to do an 80% or 90% job and charge for it but I just never would. It is always 100% or its free. PERIOD. Thats been how I have built my 30 plus year career! In Ameriaca that is what we have lost is that fearless sense to be honest and fair. It is interesting to read the comments above with some even suggesting that something less then perfection is a daily course of life for them in business. What happened to PRIDE ! Has Obama stripped all Blue Collar People of their digity along with their common Sense ! GOD HELP US ALL !!!!!!

Now this is the way it should be, great attitude Benz, America needs more people like you, I too feel the same way !!

Rsurfer
05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I learned alot from this Job - But I always try to over deliver - It is the one flaw in my business. Fortunately at the end of the day this is not my main source of income and continues to be more of a Hobby that I figured out how to make money with. I really believe I did know this client and that is why I went above and beyond - and at the same time kept my reputation solid. I feel the client came out ahead. The client found the hood totally acceptable in their eyes but I could not put my name on it and sleep at night. Brian Brice may be willing to do an 80% or 90% job and charge for it but I just never would. It is always 100% or its free. PERIOD. Thats been how I have built my 30 plus year career! In Ameriaca that is what we have lost is that fearless sense to be honest and fair. It is interesting to read the comments above with some even suggesting that something less then perfection is a daily course of life for them in business. What happened to PRIDE ! Has Obama stripped all Blue Collar People of their digity along with their common Sense ! GOD HELP US ALL !!!!!!
President Obama is trying to create more jobs and get the economy back on track. What does that have to do with "Pride". I would rather have pride and a job then pride and no job.