PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun and Dawn

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I know some people use Dawn as a prewash to remove any old wax and what not. Has anyone ever used it in a foam gun as a presoak?

AeroCleanse
05-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I know some people use Dawn as a prewash to remove any old wax and what not. Has anyone ever used it in a foam gun as a presoak?

I wouldn't use Dawn for anything to do with a car.

ScottB
05-16-2009, 06:11 PM
please leave Dawn in the house ... highly alkaline is not needed in car care. Use a paint cleanser, or polishing as needed to remove old waxes and sealants.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Alright. Figured I'd ask before. I put Meg's Gold Class shampoo in my foam gun for a good presoak now, but was just curious about the Dawn. Thanks guys!

Wendell Jarvis
05-16-2009, 06:44 PM
please leave Dawn in the house ... highly alkaline is not needed in car care. Use a paint cleanser, or polishing as needed to remove old waxes and sealants.

Dawn is for Dishes and pots and pans, that stuff with eat up trim, especially if its black...Dawn is not made for cars !!!

Wendell Jarvis
05-16-2009, 06:45 PM

I use 97% Alcohol for removal.

TheDodgeGuy
05-16-2009, 09:57 PM
I use 97% Alcohol for removal.

lol, I guess that's why I hear you leave swirl marks all the way from the car to the couch :cheers:

Wendell Jarvis
05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
lol, I guess that's why I hear you leave swirl marks all the way from the car to the couch :cheers:

Ouch !! You're being a little harsh on the Beav, aren't you Ward? ( Leave it to Beaver) Besides, if you use a good quality Microfiber for a IPA wipe down, you wont be leaving swirl marks....Any other comments?

Wendell Jarvis
05-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Thats why I drive a BMW and you drive a Dodge....how you like me now smoky ??? There is plenty more from where that came from too !!

bunyz06rabbitt
05-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Wendell, I've gone ahead and started using undiluted 91% IPA after asking you about it in another thread. Works magic on tar and no streaking! Great for those areas on the paint behind the wheels that get a lot of abuse.

Wendell Jarvis
05-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Wendell, I've gone ahead and started using undiluted 91% IPA after asking you about it in another thread. Works magic on tar and no streaking! Great for those areas on the paint behind the wheels that get a lot of abuse.

Good deal, I really like the fact too, like you stated there is hardly any cleanup afterward s !!

TheDodgeGuy
05-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Ouch !! You're being a little harsh on the Beav, aren't you Ward? ( Leave it to Beaver) Besides, if you use a good quality Microfiber for a IPA wipe down, you wont be leaving swirl marks....Any other comments?

lol, it was just the alcohol talking :D Rock on my brother, and keep it real!

Dsoto87
05-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Citrus wash and clear presoak > dawn presoak

smokin' mark
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Lot of love on this forum...can't you feel it.

BenzDetailer
05-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Alcohol mixed with a quality Car Wash liquid is the best AID to remove WAX. Just get the PH below 6 and a natural wax removal process takes place. It will not harm the paint unless you have chips to bare metal. LOWER PH (BELOW 7) equals wax removal.