PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

agpatel21
05-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, so after days of reading and filling up my cart and taking things out of it because I cant decide what to get i am deciding to get some help from you guys.

Car:
2006 VW GTI MkV in Tornado Red

Condition:
Minor swirls only seen in bright sun, but clear is hard as nails!

What I have

Porter Cable
LC Orange Pads
LC White Pads
Sonus Blue Finishing pads

WG Sealant (not the 3.0)
Zymol Carbon
Menzerna SIP and 106FF
PB SSR1 (pink formula)

This is were the questing come into play, i have always used SIP w/ orange and then put on the sealant, but always thought there some something i could add to it. After reading i guess i was right orage + SIP leaves some hazing and what not so this is my plan. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Clay
2. SIP w/ white pad
3. 106FF w/ gray pad (or white or Green Low Profile Polishing/Finishing?)
4. Blue pad w/ SSR1
5. WG sealant (2x w/ 8 hrs between)
6. Zymol Carbon as a topper

So does that seem to be ok? Pad choice i know would change depending on correction but I think SIP w/ white will take out most of the swirls, i am not looking for perfection as i know to get 100% swril free would take a long time and in all honestly i dont see the swirls unless its under bright sun and sloe up. I am thinking of getting Fusion as a topper as its on sale and the Memorial Day sale is coming to a close soon as well.

Also, what would the working time or time to brake down the polish using a 5.5-6" pads be for menzerna for lets say a 2x2 ft section? 3-4 min? Last question, I promis, is the polish borken down once it looks transparent pretty much.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

termigator
05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
If you only have minor swirls that you only see in the sun, SIP with orange or white pad is overkill. I just recently polished my Milano Red Prelude that was in the same condition as what you just described. I used 106FA (more recent version of 106FF) with a white pad and I was able to get just about all of the swirls. There were still a few left, but I had to look very hard in full sun to find them.

Maybe your paint is harder and you'll need to be more aggressive, but IMO, you should try 106FF first and see if it'll do the job before getting more aggressive. :cheers:

agpatel21
05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
I was thinking of doing the hood with just 106 w/ a white pad to see how it comes out. Would you be able to go straight to a wax from 106FF with a white pad or do i need the SSR1 or a follow up.

Rsurfer
05-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I was thinking of doing the hood with just 106 w/ a white pad to see how it comes out. Would you be able to go straight to a wax from 106FF with a white pad or do i need the SSR1 or a follow up.
I would skip the SSR1 and use Menz 85RD. There is a big difference between the 5.5" and the 6" pads. 5.5" and 4" pads are what you need for correction using the pc.

termigator
05-15-2009, 03:35 PM

I tried Wolfgang Polishing Paint Enhancer as a follow up and quite honestly, I did not see a difference. IMO, you won't need to follow up 106ff with anything, but it won't hurt to try and see if you like it. Unless, of course, you're in a hurry.:D

agpatel21
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I would skip the SSR1 and use Menz 85RD. There is a big difference between the 5.5" and the 6" pads. 5.5" and 4" pads are what you need for correction using the pc.

I was thinking about 85RD but I would really like to not buy another polish as I am trying to keep the cost down. Would getting some white 4" pads+backing plate be better off to use with SIP then follow up with 106FF which the 5.5 pads?

Just being limited by what I can spend makes it frustrating sometimes...but I do appreciate the help!

r0ckstrWS6
05-15-2009, 04:22 PM
I think the 5.5 pads are fine. like mentioned try out the least aggressive approach first. just go slow with the PC take your time and the swirls come out. try the white pad and 106FF first and go slow. if you find your not satisfied try the SIP on white. should do the trick.

Rsurfer
05-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I was thinking about 85RD but I would really like to not buy another polish as I am trying to keep the cost down. Would getting some white 4" pads+backing plate be better off to use with SIP then follow up with 106FF which the 5.5 pads?

Just being limited by what I can spend makes it frustrating sometimes...but I do appreciate the help!
If SIP takes out the marring then finish down with 106 and a white pad and do a final polish with 106 and a gray/blue pad. Alway's used a blue pad for final polish, but a gray should work. I know it's now a 3 step instead of a 2 step, but you'll be happy that you took the time to do that last step.

Rsurfer
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
BTW it's not necessary to get the 4" pads and bp. The 5" pads should work, but will take a few passes. If SIP doesn't do it then get the 4" pads rather then moving up to a compound.

agpatel21
05-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks, time is not a issue as i am off for the summer from classes and not nothing better to do. I could juts do one pass of the polish on the car and the next day just do a white down or hose off and start with the next and so on...

agpatel21
05-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Time Pics after just a wash and DP Spray wax...Just wanted to wash the car and put something down till the shipment comes in. Here some not so good pics of the condition...if above recommendations still hold I will be doing SIP w/ white and see how it goes, followed by 106FF with white and 106 with a blue or ssr1 with blue (see which one i like better after i do a panel of each)

How do you think Souveran would look on this red. It is a bright solid red, cant really tell from the pics as i cant take pics very well...But friend of mine has a black GTI and was wondering if I would split it maybe.

Thanks for helping a noob out :cheers:

http://i39.tinypic.com/23mqwbd.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2e0mgz8.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/r2435v.jpg