PDA

View Full Version : Boat Waxes?

Mirror Detailing
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Been looking around, trying to find some good stuff to use for Fiberglass boat waxing. Need some stuff for use with a rotary buffer on boats. Since most boats dont get many scratches on them just need something for light cutting, polishing, and wax/sealant. Thanks

CharlesW
05-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Meguiar's, Duragloss and 3M are all companies that have a marine line.

FWIW, In over 30 years of boat ownership, I used the same products I was using on my vehicle in most instances.
The only marine line that I used was Meguiar's and while it worked good so did most everything else I used.

The one thing that I never had to do was actually compound my boats. I polished/waxed them each year and they never really needed it.
Gel coat does seem to be much harder than paint.
The past two years I used Optimum Poli-Seal to clean and polish, then used Optimum Opti-Seal for a sealant. The boat was on a lift under a canopy, but wasn't completely protected from the elements. The Opti-Seal seemed to hold up quite well.

Based on my experience with the Duragloss #501 Marine Polish and Sealant on vehicles, I would probably try it if I still owned a boat. Great one step product.

Mirror Detailing
05-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Meguiar's, Duragloss and 3M are all companies that have a marine line.

FWIW, In over 30 years of boat ownership, I used the same products I was using on my vehicle in most instances.
The only marine line that I used was Meguiar's and while it worked good so did most everything else I used.

The one thing that I never had to do was actually compound my boats. I polished/waxed them each year and they never really needed it.
Gel coat does seem to be much harder than paint.
The past two years I used Optimum Poli-Seal to clean and polish, then used Optimum Opti-Seal for a sealant. The boat was on a lift under a canopy, but wasn't completely protected from the elements. The Opti-Seal seemed to hold up quite well.

Based on my esperience with the Duragloss #501 Marine Polish and Sealant on vehicles, I would probably try it if I still owned a boat. Great one step product.

Cool good info. Like you said wasnt really needing a compound style product. since its fiberglass and such. Was looking for something to just polish up the paint and give it a clean waxed look. Also something that would be applied with a rotary buffer, and not some hand wax stuff. Thanks .

mini titan
05-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Colinite Boat wax and Prewax. Good stuff. And lasts most of the season!

Touchof Class
05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
:whs:

Mirror Detailing
05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Looked the colinite up and it says that no buffing necessary. i dont want a hand wax/cleaner to put on and i dont have a orbital buffer yet. would that stuff be okay to use with a rotary at low speed(1000-1200rpms)?

Surfer
05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Colinite Boat wax and Prewax. Good stuff. And lasts most of the season!:whs: Collinite rocks

sal329
05-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Meg Marine line polishes for removing the swirls and scratches then DG 501 for some great cleaning and protecting