PDA

View Full Version : wipe on.....chisel off!!!!!!!

ANDYS87
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I was just browsing the waxes and polishes, and love all of the easy on/easy off products. Then, I got to thinking about all of the difficult products I've used in the past. I'll list some of my worst ones.......feel free to add your own experiences.

These waxes/polishes should have included a chisel for their removal:

1. My Grandfather's Simonize. Probably from the 70's. Hard to apply, arm-breaking to remove!

2. Blue Max wax by Blue Coral. Sold at Napa in the 80's. A nice cleaner/wax...would remove bad oxidation...left a nice shine..and no streaks on a black car. Not bad to apply, but terrible to remove. Also a lot of powdery reside when removing.

3. Turtle Wax-forgot the name (sold in the early 90's in a green bottle- liquid)...easy to apply but a ##### to take off.

4. The Treatment. Again from the early 90's. Recommended by my cousin. Came in a big toothpaste style tube. Easy on, but terrible to remove.

There are probably many others I've used, but these immediately came to mind........

Another dishonorable mention would be NuFinish applied in the sun. My friend applied it to his dad's car on a hot, sunny summer day. We stopped over and all went to the beach. he left it for his father to take off(nice kid, huh?).....his dad spent 3 hours removing the wax...and ended up going to the hospital because of chest pains. He thought he was having a heart attack, but it was just from fatigue from all of that work! I still rub that in(no pun) to my friend to make him feel guilty!

OK, now for your worst waxes........................

OGauge4Me
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
From the 60's
Dupont "7" Super Lustre wax. What a pita.

Emile
05-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Anything Turtle Wax.

The Klasse Twins if you let them fully haze over and dry up.

Larry A
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I was just browsing the waxes and polishes, and love all of the easy on/easy off products. Then, I got to thinking about all of the difficult products I've used in the past. I'll list some of my worst ones.......feel free to add your own experiences.

These waxes/polishes should have included a chisel for their removal:

1. My Grandfather's Simonize. Probably from the 70's. Hard to apply, arm-breaking to remove!

2. Blue Max wax by Blue Coral. Sold at Napa in the 80's. A nice cleaner/wax...would remove bad oxidation...left a nice shine..and no streaks on a black car. Not bad to apply, but terrible to remove. Also a lot of powdery reside when removing.

3. Turtle Wax-forgot the name (sold in the early 90's in a green bottle- liquid)...easy to apply but a ##### to take off.

4. The Treatment. Again from the early 90's. Recommended by my cousin. Came in a big toothpaste style tube. Easy on, but terrible to remove.

There are probably many others I've used, but these immediately came to mind........

Another dishonorable mention would be NuFinish applied in the sun. My friend applied it to his dad's car on a hot, sunny summer day. We stopped over and all went to the beach. he left it for his father to take off(nice kid, huh?).....his dad spent 3 hours removing the wax...and ended up going to the hospital because of chest pains. He thought he was having a heart attack, but it was just from fatigue from all of that work! I still rub that in(no pun) to my friend to make him feel guilty!

OK, now for your worst waxes........................
Simonize wasent that bad if you did small areas at a time.The Treatment had to be rubbed well in the paint.It was one time called Slax Super X but was sold when old man Thomson died.

Junebug
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
FK 1000P - let it haze up after getting it a tad too thick.

Gunslinger
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Back in the '70s I tried what supposed to be the best...Excalibur. Cost me the (then) big price of $5.00 for a can. It was a traditional hard paste wax and was a bear to take off! But...it left a beautiful finish on the car. It had absolutely no durability...it was gone in several weeks...and this was on a garaged car! I never used it again...too much effort for too little results.

A wax I used for some years after that was Dupont Raindance. It did a fine job for an over the counter product.

Also at that time, I was working for JCPenney in one of their auto centers. We had a car wax called JCPenney Green Jade...couldn't sell the stuff at all. Whether it was due to the ugly packaging or simply people wouldn't buy a private label car wax I can't say, but it did not sell. We eventually marked it down to fifty cents a can and my Dad bought all the store had. He put it on lawn furniture, his cars, you name it. He was quite happy with it. Then Consumer Reports did a test of car waxes...Green Jade was listed as a Best Buy for its performance. People were flocking in asking for it...too bad! It was gone and sitting in my Dad's garage shelf!

Larry A
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Back in the '70s I tried what supposed to be the best...Excalibur. Cost me the (then) big price of $5.00 for a can. It was a traditional hard paste wax and was a bear to take off! But...it left a beautiful finish on the car. It had absolutely no durability...it was gone in several weeks...and this was on a garaged car! I never used it again...too much effort for too little results.

A wax I used for some years after that was Dupont Raindance. It did a fine job for an over the counter product.

Also at that time, I was working for JCPenney in one of their auto centers. We had a car wax called JCPenney Green Jade...couldn't sell the stuff at all. Whether it was due to the ugly packaging or simply people wouldn't buy a private label car wax I can't say, but it did not sell. We eventually marked it down to fifty cents a can and my Dad bought all the store had. He put it on lawn furniture, his cars, you name it. He was quite happy with it. Then Consumer Reports did a test of car waxes...Green Jade was listed as a Best Buy for its performance. People were flocking in asking for it...too bad! It was gone and sitting in my Dad's garage shelf!
I think I remember Green Jade, I know there was a wax that Consumer Reports liked , but was discontinute before the report came out.

ScottB
05-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I think for years we were conditioned that more was better, and thus the more wax applied the harder to remove.

BenzDetailer
05-16-2009, 10:50 AM
You are using a Faulty premise. Many of those 60's & 70's Products we used back then were being layed onto finishes that were quite a bit different then today. I was one of the only Guys I knew using Clay in the late 70's and I used to go over a freshly clayed finish with TR-3 RESIN GLAZE and Buff Back off with an orbital with a Super Soft 100% Cotton Bonnet from India. We first got Microfiber in 1984 out of a Mill in Sweeden where it was first developed its hard to believe its 25 years old. It was all loop back then and we used to argue about what did the better Job of Wax Removal - COTTON or MF. We hardly ever talked about Swirls and the durabilty on a High Quality Wax was measured in days not weeks. The other day I located a Postal Package that had come from Sweeden I found it amongst some supplies in the Garage - We were paying nearly 3 dollars for a 14" square cloth with shipping. The first ones I had were Tan. I remember it like it was yeserday !