PDA

View Full Version : DURAGLOSS application questions

mwheberger
05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
So my roommate works at Carquest and has given me access to any Duragloss products to try. So I got some and will be applying by porter cable for the first time. Here is what I have:
1. swirl remover #671

I am confident that I will apply in this order, but how would you go about applying these and how long would you leave each product on the car before removing? I have read some say that the #601 and #105 should be put on using "straight lines" as opposed to the traditional circular application. Is this correct? If so, then obviously I wouldn't be able to apply either the #601 or #105 by machine. Logic tells me to apply the #105 by machine so it can be worked into the surface more than just sweeping it on top, not to mention that it would be applied more evenly.

CharlesW
05-14-2009, 08:14 PM
While I haven't used the #671, the PC and a polishing pad would be my choice for any swirl remover.
The #501 should work great with the PC and a polishing pad as well.
At that point, I would put my PC away and apply the #601 and the #105 by hand.
That's just me since I apply any LSP by hand. My PC is used just for polishing.
As far as the straight line/circular application, I have never concerned myself with what direction I was applying my LSP,
If your applicator/LSP is marring the paint, I would get a different applicator and/or LSP. :)

nosbusa
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
You can experiment and see what works best for you.

I believe 671, and 501 are kind of the same. Both should remove light scratches & swirls. You could use a PC, or flex with these if you wanted.

I've always applied DG 601&105 by hand. IMO it's like Zaino. Not many people (I know) apply the Zaino Z-2 & Z-5 with a machine. It's up to you though.

After you apply #601, leave it on. Don't wipe it off. Now go back over it with #105. You can wait 10mins, 30mins, however long it takes to dry. DG comes off pretty easy.

The way I apply wax (just me) I do straight lines from windshield to end of hood. Same way for roof and trunk. On the side panels I wax from top to bottom.

richy
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm a HUGE Duragloss addict...eh...user. Although I have never used their compounds or swirl removers (also a huge fan of Menzerna) you may have luck with just using 501 with a pc and a white or green pad. Try that 1st. You could try the same pad with their swirl remover and try it out...can't hurt that's for sure. I would definitely follow it up with 501 and a white pad...the cleaning ability of this product just has to be seen to be believed. I would then follow it up with 601 and a foam applicator pad by hand. I do circles overlapping to ensure even coverage. Lastly, I would recommend that you use your pc to apply the 105...for several reasons. One, you can really see that you have covered the 601 (just a reminder, don't remove it; apply 105 into it) thouroughly. Also, the heat generated by the pc actually helps the performance of the 105 somewhat. Use the least aggressive pad you have...new gold one, red or blue. In terms of drying time, once you have gone around the whole car with 501, you should be good to go to remove it. Don't use too much...the old finger swipe is a good method to see if it's ready too. Same really for when you've done the 105, although you may be a bit quicker with the pc..do the finger swipe test there too. Your car will never look better. The only other thing to enhance your experience doing this would be Godsmack at a decent level and an awesome cigar!! Let us know how you made out, please.

Lowprofile
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
The only other thing to enhance your experience doing this would be Godsmack at a decent level and an awesome cigar!!

:D :iagree:

Remember also that "less is best" I always apply by hand but either way will work. Let the 105 cure for 24 hours and add one more coat. Let us know how it turns out!