PDA

View Full Version : MF Thickness

Pages : [1] 2

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I would like everyone's opinion on how thick they like a towel to be for wax/polish removal. Do you guys prefer something that is super thick...or maybe something a little thinner?

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Nothing super thick, just buy pakshak towels and you won't need to worry about it.

redboost10
05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Nothing super thick, just buy pakshak towels and you won't need to worry about it.

i took this advice...listen to dana

Rsurfer
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
i took this advice...listen to dana
I did and I landed in jail.

redboost10
05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
haha, i wont ask rsurfer.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah yeah...I know PakShak is the best lol. I found something that is a little cheaper so that I can buy more :D. They are the same thickness too.

Rsurfer
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah yeah...I know PakShak is the best lol. I found something that is a little cheaper so that I can buy more :D. They are the same thickness too.Thickness means nothing, it's the quality that counts and what you are using it for.

Rsurfer
05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
BTW I would never use a 600gm towel to QD.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Thickness means nothing, it's the quality that counts and what you are using it for.

Tell him Ron, set him straight. Sorry about getting you in jail, but that happens when you do the things I do.:cheers:

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I would be using it for wax/polish/sealant removal. So thickness has nothing to do with it...what makes you decide on getting one towel over another...when both are of good quality?

CharlesW
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
It seems like this thread could possibly be very informative if given a chance. Some opinions of the type of towel best suited, (In your opinion), to different uses could be very enlightening.
I have towels from Pak Shak, Auto Geek, Detail City Store, Poorboy's, Meguiar's, Autopia Store as well as the large drying towels from both Wal*Mart and Target. I basically just use what is handy and haven't really noticed any real difference in performance or results. That's not to say there isn't a difference just that it doesn't seem to be enough for me to notice.
Maybe I'm missing something and I'm always ready to learn.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
It seems like this thread could possibly be very informative if given a chance. Some opinions of the type of towel best suited, (In your opinion), to different uses could be very enlightening.
I have towels from Pak Shak, Auto Geek, Detail City Store, Poorboy's, Meguiar's, Autopia Store as well as the large drying towels from both Wal*Mart and Target. I basically just use what is handy and haven't really noticed any real difference in performance or results. That's not to say there isn't a difference just that it doesn't seem to be enough for me to notice.
Maybe I'm missing something and I'm always ready to learn.

That's what I'm hoping. I'd like to get a lot of opinions to see what everyone is using. I know people like to use super thick towels, while others won't. I too have used the big Vroom towel from Target to dry my car and it has worked great. I also just ordered some Chemical Guy's towels because I got a great price on them and figured why not. Hopefully we'll be able to get some great information :).

VISITOR
05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
IMO, having too thick of a towel is not good for polish and wax removal, they tend to not have enough bite/grab. there many different microfiber towels and it's good to have a variety for different tasks...

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I have some cheap MFs for door jams and wheels, others for the interior. I know some people will have a set of towels just for SIP for ex, and a set for their wax. I've noticed that the Vroom drying towel is a little thicker than my PakShak towels, and I wouldn't like that for polish removal.

CharlesW
05-13-2009, 11:19 PM
A lot of variables come into play when using a MF towel.
Even the "best" size would be debatable.
Other than for drying, rinseless washing or waterless washing, the large 6.5 sq. ft. towels are too large for me.
I probably use 16 x 16 the most since I seem to have more of that size, but.... I really think the 16 x 24 size works best for me. A little larger area, but still not so large you need to worry about dragging it on the ground when working on lower panels.
Many people rave about waffle weave towels while I only use them for glass cleaning.

Chances are you will get lots of information, but it's probably going to be a little like the best wax question. Whatever works for you. :)