PDA

View Full Version : Polisher?

fk00gsr
05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok so here is my dilemma. A few years ago my girlfriend bought me a Griots Garage Orbital polished which i have used a few times with some off the shelf Mothers polish from a local auto part store. It worked pretty good but nothing amazing. The problem is I want to start using the CCS 5.5 pads with mezerna or meguiars quality products because that seems like what everyone on here recommends. My polisher doesnt have the 5/8 shank meaning i cant just buy the CCS 5' backing plate. Does anyone know whether the Griots Garage polisher will work with the CCS 5.5 pads or do i have to use the 6.5 pads? And i have heard nothing but bad things about the 6.5 such that they dont cut well etc. I cant afford to go out now and buy a PC so what do you guys suggest? O i measured the pad on the griots on its about 5' 3/4 Thanks in advance.

vinnier6
05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
there is nothing bad about the 6.5" pads, so i dont know where you heard all the negative stuff about them...they are the same pads as the 5.5 just larger and its easier to get correction with the smaller pads and thats why alot of people use the smaller ones....

i guess i am not familuar with the griots machine, how big is the backing plate....you need a 5" backing plate to run 5.5" pads....

Perfessor
05-14-2009, 12:57 PM
fk00gst - I know it was a typo, cause I don't know of any polisher that can handle a 5 foot pad, but I just had to mention it http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif .

Anyway, I'd say that if the backing plate you have measures 5 3/4", then you would need to use the 6.5" pads. Unless you can get a smaller plate from Griots, that is.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
If you're using a DA that is equal power to the PC, then don't use 6.5" pads. They do nothing at all. You need to use 5.5" or 4" pads with a PC. Now if you're talking about something more powerful like the Flex DA, then by all means use 6.5". I'm not sure how powerful your polisher is, but you didn't hear wrong with 6.5" pads not doing well.

fk00gsr
05-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Would it be ok if I were to evenly cut the diameter of the 6.5" pads to say 6" or possibly 5" 3/4. Looks like Griot's doesnt offer any other backing plates. Also I do have the polish pad that comes with the griots which is Orange so im thinking it may have the "same" characteristics of the orange ccs pad or at least close to it. Now do the 6.5" pads not work well for finishing polishes such as Mazerna 106FA if using gray or white pads being that they dont have to "cut" as much? Sorry for the million questions, just trying to make sure i rule out all my options before I make anymore purchases and waste money.
Thanks!

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't cut the pads because once you turn the polisher on, you will get pieces of foam flying everywhere. For a finish polish like 106, you will want to use something like a blue or red CCS pad. Gray pads have a little bit of cut that can leave very slight marring.

fk00gsr
05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Gotcha thanks. I didnt know that. Always thought I could use a Gray or even white pads with 106. So glad im clearing this up before a spend money on all the wrong stuff. One day ill get it all straight :D

Ok so like you said the blue pads have very little to no cut. Therefore, would it still be ok to use a blue 6.5" one on my polisher.

Last question promise, do the 6.5 pretty much suck for all grits or do the lighter cuts like the gray, blue, red etc work a little better or the same as the 5.5?