PDA

View Full Version : *Review!* Optimum's Protectant Plus!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

2hotford
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone,

People on the various detailing forums have come to know me from my past moderating duties and product reviews on Meguiar’s Online. For years I have been using Meguiar’s products, but not exclusively. One of the things I have always told people is that there are many ways to obtain the flawless finish or to dress up that interior. As such, I use all kinds of various brands of products.

When I resigned from Meguiar’s Online (MOL), I continued to do reviews for them as I really think they have some good products. But with that said, there are other companies out there like: Optimum, Klasse, Poorboys, 3M, Clearkote, P21S, Menzerna, Zaino and of course many others. Each of these companies offers the consumer a choice. And it is that choice that allows us to choose the best products in our own eyes!

After leaving MOL, I contacted a good friend of mine Anthony Orosco and asked him if he could obtain a few Optimum samples for me which he graciously did. I want to make this clear from the get-go and that is I have no connection to Optimum nor am I trying to promote their products. What I am doing is trying to share some of my experiences with the various products with other detailers and detail enthusiasts! I have other reviews for Zaino, Mother's, Klasse, 3M and Clearkote also on the go… My goal is to help people make an informed decision before buying a product.

For years, when it comes to interiors, I have always had two dressings that were my go-to products: 303 Aerospace Protectant, and Meguiar’s M40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. Both of these products leave a nice satin sheen finish (you will need to thoroughly wipe down the interior with a dedicated microfiber towel in order to adjust the level of sheen or gloss desired) that I prefer and both do a great job of protecting the vinyl’s and plastics found in today’s cars and trucks. Those were my favorites, but that may be about to change!!!

One of the products that I really have enjoyed using is Optimum Protectant Plus (OPP) (Optimum Protectant Plus, 128 oz. Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/opprpl1ga.html)). Optimum Protectant Plus cleans and protects everything from leather to vinyl. It also contains special UV inhibitors to protect against sun damage. But what I like most is that it has a low sheen and does not have that typical greasy feel of regular dressings! One of my only complaints against M40 is the smell and its slight greasy feel. Its scent is a “love it or hate it” kind of thing; I do not like it but others do. But Optimum’s Protectant Plus has a pleasant scent similar but much milder than M40. It is not overwhelming and within a couple of hours the scent simply becomes a clean fresh scent. But like I mentioned above, what I like most about OPP is that it does not have that greasy feeling! The interior looks clean and new without that dressed artificial glow typical of interior dressings.

To apply the OPP, I use a microfiber applicator. Some people use foam, but I prefer the MF applicator as it helps to take advantage of OPP’s cleaning properties, and yet allows me to leave a nice uniform coat of product. The OPP spreads very easily and a little goes a long way! The biggest thing is to follow the application about 10 minutes afterwards with a clean, dedicated MF towel. If you leave it on without wiping it off you can have a much higher gloss, but again, I prefer the lower, like new, sheen!!! Awesome!!!

Here are a few pictures of my truck. Please keep in mind this is a 1999, stock Ford Super Duty. I choose to test products on my own vehicles as it allows me to make objective and subjective observations as I know what I have or have not done to the paint or the interior. As such, I will let the pictures speak for themselves….:):)

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/800_200902May_OptimumReview_1437C.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/800_200902May_OptimumReview_1452C.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/800_200902May_OptimumReview_1450C.jpg

Cheers! :buffing:

Tim

Pats300zx
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I love OPP it is one of my fav interior dressings.

TheDodgeGuy
05-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for sharing, will give it try. Cheers.

mrGolfRider
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
great write up!!

Bigfoot
05-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I have some on my way that I got in a trade. Looking forward for that, specially now that I see how it looks

101impala
05-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey Tim,

Great to see you posting your class A, second to none reviews!:goodpost:

Just so everyone knows, Tim is one of the best detailers that I know. Not only that he is a great friend. When you read his reviews, know that they are from personal experience and not heresay. He writes them so than you can almost put yourself right there next to him while he is doing his testing of a product. His work speaks for itself!

Thanks for sharing Tim!:cheers:

Andy M. aka. 101impala

wagonproject
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Great stuff! Clean Ford interior!

AeroCleanse
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I haven't had the issues you have had with M40. I like the smell and it doesn't seem greasy to me. I do like Optimum's stuff, but I can get M40 locally when I need to get it in a hurry.

2hotford
05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I haven't had the issues you have had with M40. I like the smell and it doesn't seem greasy to me. I do like Optimum's stuff, but I can get M40 locally when I need to get it in a hurry.

Do not get me wrong, I have used a ton of M40 over many years and in fact I keep a large amount of it and M57 on hand at all times, plus a few other dressings as well. Until I tried the OPP I did not find M40 greasy either! :)

Have you tried the OPP? I would be curious as how you have found it after using M40. What other dressings have you tried? Maybe you have tried one I have not as I am always open to finding a new product!

Just my back-up stock of M40 and few other dressings...

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/IMG_4211Medium.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/IMG_8194cLarge.jpg

Tim

wytstang
05-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I love OPP (in 17oz bottles it's called Leather Protectant) works great and last about 5/6 weeks.

2hotford
05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Great stuff! Clean Ford interior!

Thanks!!! Considering the truck is an original 1999 and that I take it fishing and camping! I just try and keep it in the best shape possible and yet use it for what it was intended. :)

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/200902May_1520crw.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/2hotford/200902May_1504crw.jpg

Tim

ZoranC
05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice writeup Tim!

Vinyl in all of my cars is black and I yet have to find cleaner/dressing for them that I am in love with.

Not because dressings I tried are bad (well, some were) but because of personal preferences (read: me being picky).

It seems I will have to give OPP a try once my current stockpile runs out.

TheDodgeGuy
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
If you keep all your dressings on the mini freezer how do you satisfy that Hot Pocket urge we all get that must be satisfied immediately : )

2hotford
05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice writeup Tim!

Vinyl in all of my cars is black and I yet have to find cleaner/dressing for them that I am in love with.

Not because dressings I tried are bad (well, some were) but because of personal preferences (read: me being picky).

It seems I will have to give OPP a try once my current stockpile runs out.

Thanks Zoran! :)

I hear ya! I have tried a lot of dressings over the years and it is hard to find one that pleases everyone! In fact, I have a few cases of Quik Interior Detailer that I keep for people that rather not have any dressing at all.

But since the OPP has UV inhibitors, cleans very well, and leaves a nice low sheen, OPP seems to fit the bill very well!

Tim

2hotford
05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
If you keep all your dressings on the mini freezer how do you satisfy that Hot Pocket urge we all get that must be satisfied immediately : )

LOLOLOL :D:D Good Point!

Funny thing is, my wife was trying to get into the deep freeze when she saw all of the dressings on there! I think I need a new spot for product pictures! :D:D

Tim