PDA

View Full Version : Review of Wolfgang DGPS 3.0

Pages : [1] 2

TacMedic7248
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
My daily driver is a 2008 Dodge Caliber in Surf Blue, I really love the color, it hides dirt to a point but I do love keeping it clean. I never really had a chance to detail her last year, but this year I vowed to do it, and after being pointed to the Wolfgang line of products, I'm definitely impressed.

To get rid of some slight swirl marks and bring out the shine of the color of my car since it has a hint of metallic background to it, I decided to use DGPS 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html).

The car had been washed a week prior to get rid of the pollen, being from Jersey, and it not raining for over a week, it was in some rough shape since it's not garaged. I received DGPS 3.0 yesterday and today I went to work.

I use one bucket with two grit guards from AG and the Cobra Bone sponge. My wash of choice is Armor All Ultra Shine wash and wax, but that's just my preference. It was washed thoroughly, dried with microfiber and let to sit for a while in the shade.

I used a microfiber applicator and applied to the whole car, with the exception of the roof. This product goes on incredibly smooth, and a little goes a long way. This was quite impressive given the cost. I'm resting easier now that I know this bottle will last me well through next year! Although if I use it on my other car (2008 Cadilac DTS) who knows what will happen! :)

After applying it I let it sit like most people had recommended. I get nervous when I'm told to let a wax or sealer sit for longer than 20 minutes because I know I'm going to have to put in a ton of elbow grease. This was definitely not the case!! This product buffed off with the greatest of ease. I removed it using a microfiber towel and was done surprisingly fast; of course, then I did the roof! No problems there either.

In my opinion it's definitely worth the money, and for a mid-size car like mine it will last you a while. Contrary to some posts, I had no problems with consistency or separation and come to think of it, never shook the bottle mid application! Go figure! I've recommended this product to another Caliber owner that has the same color, and a few people I know that have black. If they're like me they will be greatly impressed.

For those of you wondering what I'm going to do to keep it dry in order for it to cure since I leave it outside....that's a secret! ;) Actually, it will be in someone else's garage for the duration. :)

Pictures do NOT do this product justice! However, I've included a few here, and let me tell you, this stuff is slick (literally, it's smooth as...well, never really ran into anything this smooth before!!). If I can, I'll update this post later on after it rains to see how it holds up.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/product-reviews/4155d1242243856-review-wolfgang-dgps-3-0-dgps02.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/product-reviews/4154d1242243851-review-wolfgang-dgps-3-0-051309_afterdgps.jpg

TheDodgeGuy
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I concur with the Doctor.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
05-13-2009, 05:11 PM
WG sealant is probably one of the best sealants out there. I use it on all cars that I detail, and yes, the feeling of smoothness is beyond anything I've ever felt. After 12 hours, you can top it with a good carnauba and you will be even more impressed.

TacMedic7248
05-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately rain is due here in the next day or so, and of course when I'm working and can't wax is when it will be nice. Have to love Murphy and his laws!! Once I get a good streak of nice weather I'll polish her up, she's in a car show next weekend, so every little bit helps. ;)

jswjr
05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
looks good, im diggin the grill lights

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Wolfgang DGPS is the best. Your ride looks good. However, I noticed something in your writeup - "I use one bucket with two grit guards from AG and the Cobra Bone sponge. My wash of choice is Armor All Ultra Shine wash and wax, but that's just my preference. It was washed thoroughly, dried with microfiber and let to sit for a while in the shade."

If the wash contains a speed wax, that would affect the ability of the DGPS to properly bond to the paint, compromising the integrity of the sealant. Just food for thought.

TacMedic7248
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
You know, I never thought of that!! Thanks for pointing that out. So far I'm pleased with the results, a few people have noticed it already without me pointing it out to them.

Perhaps the next time I'll use a regular car wash so as to avoid an integrity issue. I guess we'll have to stay tuned!

flapbreaker
05-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I just used the DGPS product myself and am very pleased. I bought my vehicle used (7k miles) so I used wolfgang's claybar system first, then used their pre-sealant enhancer followed by their sealant. I did use some carnuba wax on top of it. I did this all by hand since I did not have a polisher. I'll be buying one soon.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/car_002.JPG

ScottB
05-30-2009, 06:33 AM
most washes offering wax ability like have beeswax in them for beading more so than actual protection. Most people equate beading with protection, so helping bead is a common trick. Beeswax could effect a sealant curing and durability, but suspect most is wiped off when car was dried. To be safe an IPA wipe can certainly be done.

shipkiller
05-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Just to educate a dummy, what is a IPA wipe?

Bunky
05-30-2009, 06:42 PM
IPA = Isopropyl alcohol. It is usually mixed 50/50 with water to be sure there is no residue polish on the paint. The purpose is to insure proper bonding by sealants, etc.

loudog2
05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
You might need stronger than 50/50 to get DGPS off.

shipkiller
05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the answer.

I was washing with Dawn, then doing a clay to remove the old wax's. But I can see where an IPA would be good if I was not going to do a clay session..

Oh, I only use Dawn for wax removal. I use other stuff for normal washing.

I will have to try this. I assume its Denatured Alcohol............

Rsurfer
05-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the answer.

I was washing with Dawn, then doing a clay to remove the old wax's. But I can see where an IPA would be good if I was not going to do a clay session..

Oh, I only use Dawn for wax removal. I use other stuff for normal washing.

I will have to try this. I assume its Denatured Alcohol............
Dawn is for dishes, leave it in the Kitchen. Use a dedicated paint cleaner like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to remove old wax.

ScottB
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Dawn is for dishes, leave it in the Kitchen. Use a dedicated paint cleaner like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to remove old wax.

:iagree::whs: