PDA

View Full Version : Bug Squash

Pages : [1] 2

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
First... I LOVE THIS STUFF! I use it for bugs, obviously. But, it also ROCKS for removing fresh (or a few days old) tree sap, (tis' the season here in Michigan). However, while using this today to remove tree sap from my FRESHLY applied (Cured for almost exactly 12 hours) coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, it occurred to me; does this stuff, when diluted 3:1 , remove LSP's or sealants? Also, can I get this stuff from Auto Geek in a gallon?

ScottB
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I transferred a small bit to a travel size spray bottle and keep with a MF towel in a ziplock in hatch. It makes a great doo-doo removal, sap, tar, and other items quickly. I too love the product !

barryscott
05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I have read from Steve, at 3:1 will not remove wax. It is a great product

Buckskincolt
08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh GREAT, another product to add to the cart waiting for the next sale...I'm gunna go broke!:dig:

2003 GMC Denali
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Mmmm... I just read about this product. It was designed to clean up after the Florida Love-Bug.

I'm glad we don't have those critter up here !

belcherm58
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Great Stuff. I keep a small bottle of this mixed 3:1 for Bird droppings and Bugs that ares freshly squashed. lol

Jeremy
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Mmmm... I just read about this product. It was designed to clean up after the Florida Love-Bug.

I'm glad we don't have those critter up here !

They aren't florida love bugs......we have millions here too

detail viking
08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I fear that the love bug is spreading into Virginia. Today I went out to get in my car, which was waxed yesterday, and it was covered in small bugs. Probalbly 50 or more...:bat: :nomore:

Mike Phillips
08-24-2009, 08:29 AM
While it's always best to remove bug splatter as soon as possible so the acids in their little guts don't etch into the paint, for those times when you can't get to it right away and the bug splatter dries like epoxy glue onto your car's paint then here's a tip to help loosen the dried bug spatter.

The idea is to to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts and thus make it easier to wash them off without having to scrub the paint.

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag.jpg

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag2.jpg

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag3.jpg

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetTowel1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetTowel2.jpg

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

:)

SRHTX
08-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Boy, if you make trips through the King Ranch area, you better take some Bug Squash with you at all times. Bugs, and other things, will be all over the whole front end of everyones vehicle. Also, you have to watch out for deer who will run right in front of you at night time. That is where Xenon head lights RULE!!!! :xyxthumbs: Oh, I need to have some ready when the butterfly season happens down here. ugh

Stephen

KC-BBQ
08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Mike---thanks for the picture by picture on effective and safe bug removal. Learned a lesson a long time ago with a new Mercedes, black clearcoat finish and bird droppings. I was on a weekend vacation and when I got back and found the droppings, they had already etched deeply into the surface, which had to be re-painted. Looks like your technique would have worked for the bird droppings if found in time.

02CAMSS
08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
If someone reads this and does not already have bug squash then you need to buy it now.It is really that good.

jaredpointer
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
If someone reads this and does not already have bug squash then you need to buy it now.It is really that good.

Yep.

DonMTV
08-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I just got a 32oz. bottle, but it would probably be a good idea to get a gallon if they would ever bring it in for sale. I have to try it out on tree sap. Here is a question, you use this to get the sap off of the car, now it is on the microfiber towel, what do you use to remove that? Will Microfiber Restore be enough for that?

Buckskincolt
08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I just got a 32oz. bottle, but it would probably be a good idea to get a gallon if they would ever bring it in for sale. I have to try it out on tree sap. Here is a question, you use this to get the sap off of the car, now it is on the microfiber towel, what do you use to remove that? Will Microfiber Restore be enough for that?

I just dealt with this....some of the MF's are in my shop rag bin for oil and others are in my Garbage bin for the garbage collector. I cleaned the sap with 90% IPA and it takes it right off the paint onto the mf where it is to stay. Tried mf cleaner, laundry soap, oxy clean, simple green...nothing...so!:awman: they are toast.