PDA

View Full Version : Washing my microfibers...

Pages : [1] 2 3

P1et
09-02-2006, 09:24 AM
How do I wash my microfiber towels? I don't have any specialty products, but need to clean them regardless.

Do I was on cold, warm or hot?
Do I let them air dry or put them in the dryer?
Can I put them all together, or do I need to seperate by color?
Is a regular liquid detergent OK to use?:confused:

ScottB
09-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Wash them with a little vinegar (white) as possible and normal soap. Remember to tumble dry no heat, and then also remember no fabric softner. When possible get some Microrestore and no worries. I too have found those dryer balls (as seen on tv) help reduce some static in the dryer.

99 hardtop
09-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Wash them with a little vinegar (white) as possible and normal soap. Remember to tumble dry no heat, and then also remember no fabric softner. When possible get some Microrestore and no worries. I too have found those dryer balls (as seen on tv) help reduce some static in the dryer.

:applause: Works great. No problems. :cheers:

Mike T
09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
What does drying with heat cause?

Reddwarf
09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
OOPS! I dried mine last night.

I used Micro Restore (http://autogeek.net/micro-restore-.html) as the main wash with some oxy-clean as a prewash. Used the prewash cycle and the stain remover cycle (Hot/ cold). Then after I put them in the dryer. Seemed to come out very clean.

Is the dryer a bad thing?

ScottB
09-02-2006, 04:37 PM
heat can damage the polymide strands ... I would tumble dry or air dry from now on, cannot change the past.

Mike T
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Damage by making the strands abrasive or by deterioration of the towel.

ScottB
09-02-2006, 06:43 PM
it kinda melts the ingredients in the strands so to speak, so it could in all likelylood make them abrasive.

justin_murphy
09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
killr is dead on here.
No heat. Melts the fibers and will scratch.
If you don't have vinegar or an MF restorer, use about a cup of normal degreaser. I run mine through an extra short rinse cycle too.

ScottB
09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I rather like my balls for keeping my micro's fluffy. Someone offered it on this forum, and I am pleased. (makes a little noise however)

http://www.seenontv.com/prod-pages/images1/DryerBalls-Thumb.jpg

justin_murphy
09-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I rather like my balls for keeping my micro's fluffy. Someone offered it on this forum, and I am pleased. (makes a little noise however)

One could take this quote off the deep end........

Mike T
09-02-2006, 07:42 PM
killr is dead on here.
No heat. Melts the fibers and will scratch.
If you don't have vinegar or an MF restorer, use about a cup of normal degreaser. I run mine through an extra short rinse cycle too.
Well would using those balls or using MF soap help recover the MF's?

wytstang
09-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I've been washing mine with Woolite Original (white bottle) and they come out great....

justin_murphy
09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I've been washing mine with Woolite Original (white bottle) and they come out great....
I've been thinking about using Woolite too. It's cleaning the heck out of my pads.

wytstang
09-02-2006, 07:53 PM
It's cheap and very effective I have no worries in using and recommending it.