PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys EX

coondog64
09-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Can someone please define 'curing' for me. Does this mean applying EX, then leaving it on for xx hours, then buffing off? Or do you apply, allow to dry to a haze, buff, and wait xx hours before applying a second coat. Thanks!

bluzman
09-02-2006, 12:15 AM
I believe the directions on EX-P say to leave on 30-60 minutes then remove. Curing refers to all of the oils and other ingredients in a wax to evaporate leaving only the wax on the surface. Most waxes or sealants need 12-24 hrs to fully cure.

wytstang
09-02-2006, 01:04 AM
I concur with bluzman

joe.p
09-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Can someone please define 'curing' for me. Does this mean applying EX, then leaving it on for xx hours, then buffing off? Or do you apply, allow to dry to a haze, buff, and wait xx hours before applying a second coat. Thanks!
The longer you leave it on the better i beleive this will assist with your durability. Weather does play into many factors heat,humidity etc..Humid weather just takes it toll on many products making them difficult to work with

coondog64
09-02-2006, 08:41 AM
So if I apply 1 coat of EX, and wait 60 minutes before removing it, can I then apply a second coat of EX? Or is it then that I must wait 8-12 hrs for it to cure before applying a second coat?

aceshigh73
09-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Yes.... you wait as long as you can before removing... then wait 12+ hrs to "cure" and then you can add another layer....

Thats the way a pure sealant works anyway (EX-P)... EX has carnuba... so it might not be the same... (although probably is).....

P1et
09-02-2006, 09:20 AM
When I put on a layer of EX-P (love that stuff!), I wait for about 45 minutes before removing, then another 24 hours before adding a second layer.

mixxer
09-02-2006, 09:35 AM
EX leave it on for an hour then remove, you can then layer on top. EXP is a pure selant and need a cure time of 12 hours before you layer over top.

ScottB
09-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I too have found that EXP really needs 12 hours between coats. That said, I have removed it after 10 minutes and had no ill effects in removal. It is a thicker sealant and you must try to regulate how much is used. As with most sealants around a quarter's size per panel at most.

FloridaNative
09-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Everybody has offered such excellent advice already that I won't add anything new. I would just add some clarifying info. :)

The inital application of the sealant and the 30-45 minute wait time is to give the product time to cross link. After buffing it off the wait time then 12-24 hours is the cure time. :) Hope this helps. :)

belcherm58
09-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I will add that Steve the owner of Poorboys has said that leaving the sealant
on for longer amounts of time gives a better shine. I have read him telling
people to leave it on for 2 hours before removal and up to 4 hours. I would
imagine that is when it is covered like in a garage. I would be hesitant to
let it cure that long in the sun. I have also seen where it is wise to keep the surface dry for 24 hours for a good cure after removal. I usually wait 24 hrs
before applying another coat.

supercharged
09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Be sure that sealant cures in absolutely dry conditions. That means no rain, and no sprinklers.