PDA

View Full Version : LC 3.5" backing plate

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Was polishing my headlights today with a 3.5" backing plate and ccs 4" pads. About 5 mins into polishing the backing plate went flying. The rubber plate just tore away from the metal part. Got a nice ding in my headlight. Lucky I wasn't polishing my paint. Anyone had this experience? Guess I need the rotary type BP with an adapter.

dublifecrisis
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey Surfer, I've heard of pads flying off but not the BP. I have done the same thing though using a 3.5 BP with 4 " pads for headlights. I think except for when we need to dry a pad out, just get used to not ramping up the speed without the pad on a surface......or torque it down a little tighter next time?

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I was polishing on speed 6 when it went flying! I heard of this happening to someone with LC bp, but I never paid much attention as I thought it was user error.

termigator
05-10-2009, 08:21 PM
It happened to me when I was using the 4" backing plate from the glass polishing kit. The plate has some kind of EVA material sandwiched between the plastic plate and the velcro. I was using it with 4" white pad, but I got careless at one point and lifted the pad up while the PC was still at full speed. The EVA just tore of the plate and went flying off along with the pad. Luckily, it just hit the wall and not my cars. I glued the pieces back together, but, needless to say, I won't be using it with pads other than the glass polishing ones again!:D

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Does it look like this:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/rsurfer1/001-2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/rsurfer1/002-1.jpg

termigator
05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
No. It looks like the pad in this:

Professional Glass Polishing System (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-pro-glass-kit.html)

It did do the same thing as yours though. I bought the 3.5" like yours afterwards. Hope mine doesn't end up like yours.:buffing:

Jimmie
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Geeez. That looks like it could have been a lot worse. You gotta feel a little lucky on this one, huh "R"? I'll bet you get the backing plate replaced.

loudog2
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Send it in for a new one. Call LC and tell them to replace what was damaged. See if they stand behind their products.

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Send it in for a new one. Call LC and tell them to replace what was damaged. See if they stand behind their products.
If you read AG discription on the LC backing plate it sounds like it was made for the high end cars. Even if they replaced it, I wouldn't use it. Not worth the chance that next time it could damage my paint or worse, get someone hurt.

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Geeez. That looks like it could have been a lot worse. You gotta feel a little lucky on this one, huh "R"? I'll bet you get the backing plate replaced.
Yeah Jimmie, guess I'll be looking at a rotary bp with an adapter.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear about this Ron, I will ask the most obvious question, were you using too much pressure. Also how old is the backing plate? I know a couple years ago there was a bad batch running around but since have fixed that. I am glad it was a headlight vs. having to get the paint repaired.

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
It's about a year old, Dana. Not a lot of pressure, about 10 lbs. If you look at the photo, I put an X on the plate in order to see if the pad is spinning. I've used it mostly to polish lenses and maybe a couple of times to do some touch up. I would estimate that I have used it for no more than 1 hr. in 3 times.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
With your knowledge I know it isn't user error, it has to be a defect. Sorry to hear about the headlight, but like I said above if it is going to happen that is a better place than the paint.

Rsurfer
05-11-2009, 01:20 AM
With your knowledge I know it isn't user error, it has to be a defect. Sorry to hear about the headlight, but like I said above if it is going to happen that is a better place than the paint.
If I had used it to spin dry a pad I can see it happening, but I never spin a pad unless it's on a surface like paint or my lights. Let's hope it's a defective bp and won't happen to someone else. I'm getting a rotary bp which is built much stronger.

Meghan
05-11-2009, 07:50 AM
http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/autogeek_2051_58116248

Is this the one you were using? Either way give us a call and we will take care of you.