PDA

View Full Version : Quick review - DodoJuice Blue Velvet

Pages : [1] 2 3

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I finally had a change to try out the sample of DodoJuice Blue Velvet that I won from Autogeek.

First the smell of the product is quite interesting, smells sort of like bubble gum.

I tried applying the product using my fingers, and found the texture to be gritty. I would have thought that a high end wax like DodoJuice to have a smooth texture. Its almost like beads suspended in the wax base. It was easy to apply and easy to remove (using a microfiber towel).

Impressions:

It doesn't look like the gloss is any deeper than I got with Optimum Spray Wax. It does bead up and roll water off a little better.

Conclusion so far:

Good as a free sample, not sure I would buy it however. Durability is unknown as of yet.

Rsurfer
05-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Good review. Just because you won it from AG you didn't amp up the review. Kudo's too you.

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Btw, I am using it on a dark blue 1993 F-150

loudog2
05-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I noticed the diamond white was a little gitty also. I'm just not a fan of the hard wax. Application is a pain in the a**. I haven't tried the soft wax yet.

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
I think Blue Velvet is supposed to be a hard wax but not as hard as Super Natural.

Emile
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Blue Velvet is a hard wax and is not to be applied by hand. Only the Dodo soft waxes may be applied by hand. I have a 250ml tub of Blue Velvet which I purchased from Autogeek and I have been unimpressed so far as well. Easy on, easy off, but the looks are not anything special and the color-charged feature of it ruins my foam applicators and MF towels.

Nice marketing and a qualiy product, but for the price I would rather have three tubs of Natty's Red on my shelf.

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 05:37 PM
If its supposed to be machine applied, I think I'll toss mine in the garbage.

smokin' mark
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I've never tried the 'hard' Blue Velvet, but I will tell you the 'soft' Purple Haze blows everything else I've tried out of the water.

loudog2
05-10-2009, 08:20 PM
If its supposed to be machine applied, I think I'll toss mine in the garbage.
He meant by rubbing the product in your hand, then applying it by using your bare hands.

smokin' mark
05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I've applied mine by hand and with my Cyclo. Maybe it's just me but I swear it looks "deeper" and has a "warmer glow" when done by hand. But I understand that takes time. And if you do this for a living, time is money. I don't do this for a living and I'm single so the time doesn't cost me anything.

nitro78
05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
while i found the look to be quite nice with the purple haze i do agree that the texture sucks and application was not as easy as i would of liked. i actually let my layer of blue velvet dry then i removed it with ocw, then a couple of hours later rebuffed.

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 09:36 PM
He meant by rubbing the product in your hand, then applying it by using your bare hands.

I used both my bare hands and a foam applicator. Didn't see any difference

smokin' mark
05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, I've always had hot hands...maybe that did it :)

ScottB
05-11-2009, 10:24 AM
in playing with many different samples of Dodo, I have personally found several things good and bad. The good, these waxes all look nice and are clearly nicer than most OTC offerings. The bad, I have been spoiled by the ease of use, removal of the Pinnacle and Wolfgang offerings and find a little more work is needed.

AeroCleanse
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
in playing with many different samples of Dodo, I have personally found several things good and bad. The good, these waxes all look nice and are clearly nicer than most OTC offerings. The bad, I have been spoiled by the ease of use, removal of the Pinnacle and Wolfgang offerings and find a little more work is needed.

I also think its way over priced for what it is. I didn't find it hard to remove.