PDA

View Full Version : any good for leather?

drastic_detail
05-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Was out and about today and seen a can of mink oil for Leather. Would this be any good for car leather?

judyb
05-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Mink oil should definitely not be used on finished auto leather. It will sit on the surface and attract more dirt and oils which will break down the finish on the leather. Oils cannot get through the finish on protected leather and adding oils to leather is not reuqired anyway as the oils intorduces during the tanning process do not dry out. All that leather needs to keep it in good condition is moisture (water) and to be kept clean. A regime of cleaning and protecting will keep your leather in the best condition.

Hope this helps

Showroom Shine
05-11-2009, 05:37 AM
judyB! What products to you suggest for leather cleaning and protection. What are your thoughts on the Leatherique Pristine Cleaner and Rejuvinater that Detailed Image has on sale!

ScottB
05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
For finished leather, common in most interiors the Einszett Leather Care is the best option and designed for these coated hides.

wytstang
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
judyB! What products to you suggest for leather cleaning and protection. What are your thoughts on the Leatherique Pristine Cleaner and Rejuvinater that Detailed Image has on sale!
I know you didn't ask me but I've notice over on autopia judyb never really gives a recommendation. But reading judyb post on autopia and reading TOGWTs (Jon Miller) write up on detailing weeKee(sound out), any water based cleaner and water based rehydrator. If I'm reading his article correctly something like 303 or Opt leather protectant weekly (Opt has light cleaning abilities) and using Leather Masters Soft or Strong leather cleaner then Leather Masters VITAL to rehydrate the leather at least once a year or twice a year depending on location is best. Einszett Leather Care is another once mentioned as working well for coated leather BUT it uses a natural wax in it's formula, one member here with an 09 Acura has said his owners manual says not to use a conditioner with wax in it. Best bet water based from what I've been reading up on.
My info comes from Detailing WeeKee dot com under Basic Automotive Leather Care written by Jon Miller. Alot of leather info, Einszett web site under care 101/Keeping it Clean/Proper leather Care echoes the use of water based cleaners and rehydration/conditoning.

gizzsdad
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
For finished leather, common in most interiors the Einszett Leather Care is the best option and designed for these coated hides.

What is the smell of Einszett like?

ScottB
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
What is the smell of Einszett like?

its rather light and is gone in no time. Nothing fancy or heavy just kinda clean with a hint of leather.

judyb
05-13-2009, 03:58 AM
I believe Einszett contains waxes which should really be avoided on finished leathers. It cannot soak through the finishes and so never reaches the leather itself.
Water based products containing no waxes or oils would be better as these will keep the leather in good 'condition' by rehydrating the leather.

wytstang
05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for sharing you knowledge judyb, it really helped me make my decision clear with no doubts.