PDA

View Full Version : Plan of attack on chevy avalance trim...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kris R
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I have a detail for a chevy avalance coming up. The owner complains that the trim is faded because she has NEVER done anything to it.

I know of a few products that work WELL but only last a day or 2. I need something that will last a long while.

I was thinking of Forever black. But ive heard horror stories of it PEELING off or looking like shoe polish.

I have used BLACK WOW on a number of plastic pieces and am not impressed. Yes I used it correctly.

Im thinking of BLACK AGAIN aerosol topped with 303 protectant.

any thoughts??

Surfer
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
GM's Gator Back is designed specifically for this, they have personal version you can normally grab at a dealer. Other trim stuff for me doesn't work well on greyish trim once faded and I've tried a lot.

Kris R
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
so have you tried "other products" on an avalanche? like black again? I thought about the gatorback...looks expensive...

Surfer
05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
so have you tried "other products" on an avalanche? like black again? I thought about the gatorback...looks expensive...You name it I've tried it, lol. I have grey trim on my truck and tried doing a friends avalanche as well as he kept bitchin about the faded trim. Gatorback stuff is the best for grey trim. My rear bumper is greyish.

Kris R
05-08-2009, 05:22 PM
that stuff is MONSTER expensive....I'll charge double the price of it for customers. They are just going to have to know that anything less than BG kit wont last at all...

22 bucks a can. you need about 8 cans to do a whole avalanche. or 162 for the roll on kit. (or spray..)

Surfer
05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
that stuff is MONSTER expensive....I'll charge double the price of it for customers. They are just going to have to know that anything less than BG kit wont last at all...

22 bucks a can. you need about 8 cans to do a whole avalanche. or 162 for the roll on kit. (or spray..)Its the only thing that works well on grey trim, and only thing I've gotten to work well on my friends Avalanche (he bought the stuff) and my greyish rear bumper on my Ford truck. Nothing else, its permanent too, I think, or at least it last so long I think it is haha. I think it can only be used on textured trim though, my rear bumper is and it worked perfectly.

longdx
05-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I think you proposed route of Black again topped with 303 is the best and cost effective route.

killrflake
05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't know what year this truck, but I seem to remember reading about a problem Chevy had with the trim on this model truck. As I recall the factory did either a replacement or a correction of all the plastic body cladding because of the extreme fadding that was happening. This probably applied to the very early model years that this truck first came out. This doesn't have much to due with your problem but I just thought I'd throw it out there:D

Surfer
05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know what year this truck, but I seem to remember reading about a problem Chevy had with the trim on this model truck. As I recall the factory did either a replacement or a correction of all the plastic body cladding because of the extreme fadding that was happening. This probably applied to the very early model years that this truck first came out. This doesn't have much to due with your problem but I just thought I'd throw it out there:DThat's what Gator Back is for, they came out with that for the fading issue on Avalanches, but it works perfect on other greyish trim on other vehicles provided its a textured trim.

mikep288
05-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Having owned an Avalanche, I tried everything under the sun on the cladding and got to hear a lot of horror stories from others, including Gatorback users. With Gatorback, application is everything and even then, some people had it peel off like a $2.00 paint job, or scratch at the slightest touch. My truck was out of warrantee so I didn't qualify for the dealer applied gatorback fix, and as it turns out my patience was rewarded. Some of the members of the Avalanche forum I belong to tried this stuff called Refinish Restorer by Carsystems and it appeared to be the real deal.
The before and after pics were dramatic and it left the cladding better than new. All chalkiness was gone, all zebra-striping removed, even wax residue would disappear. Once coat looked ok, but two coats were recommended for even coverage. After two coats, I had it on my truck for over a year and it beaded water 'til the day I sold it a month ago. From what the manufacturer says, you can even wax it with a good carnuaba for even better looks and protection. An A++ Product. Here are some before and after pics and more user reviews:

Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Refinish Restorer Before/After pics (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,101061.0.html)

Hope this helps!
MikeP

cobraa
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Quoted from carsystem's website: ''Refinish Restorer penetrates deeply Into the micropores of the surfaces and
seals them, when dry. It restores the mat surface to the original colour. Refinish Restorer is only for external use.
Do not use it on rubber.''

Some window trim are made of plastic AND rubber!! This is not very useful in this case no?

dublifecrisis
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
my only expereicne with an avalanche had all that trim custom painted to match the color of the truck. With that, my only advice is plan to spend a lot of time on the trim. It's everywhere! all over the bumpers, sides, the slanted pieces behind the rear window, little step cut outs on the rear bumper. it's non stop...LOL

Steven C
07-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Refinish Restorer by Carsystems is awesome have used it on Jeep's Plastic& on my own personal vechile 02 Chevy Avalanche you can us this stuff on any plastic pieces on a car. One Note do application on dry day, put 1 coat on let sit then buff off excess. If the trim or bed cover are bad a second coat may be need you can do right away follow same process. The product needs like 12hrs to completely dry.This when the truck must be kept out of the weather. The first time I did my truck I had runs all over it from rain the wasn't forecasted. Where it ran down of the truck,I use Mineral Spirts to remove the streaking. To do the whole truck should take about 2to3 hrs. You can get the product @ most autobody supply houses or on line. As Mike said the product does last about a year. LOL

Matt
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Those Refinish Restorer pics look pretty good and it seems durable too.

If the people at the Avalanche forum find it good, then it's probably the best thing to use on an Avalanche :p

If you choose to take this route, maybe you can put some before and after pics of the grey trim and if it's good enough, Autogeek could look at stocking it??

ScottB
07-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Why not look at Poorboys Trim Restorer or Black Forever (dye product) for the truck ???