PDA

View Full Version : Doing a first time detail on a new Ford Flex...

ScottL
05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
First off, I have to tell you guys right up front that I am new to all this detailing stuff, but we just got this new car and I want to do my best to keep it looking great!

It is a 2009 Ford Flex with Dark Ink Blue Metallic paint.

I would like to make the color "pop" but also have good protection from the Florida sun!

I do not own, nor am comfortable, with using a power buffer, so I will be doing everything by hand.

Can you guys recommend the best steps to take to achieve what I am shooting for, please?

I had never heard of claying a vehicle until I started reading this forum - is that something that would need to be done on a brand new vehicle?

Any input would be much appreciated. I want to start on the car tomorrow, so if you can recommend products that can be bought locally, that would be a bonus!!

Thanks for reading!

Scott

jugodegolf
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
In for what the pros say on such a new car.

Matt S.
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, there's no need to mention swirl removers here since you're working by hand and the car is brand new.

See if you have a Carquest or NAPA nearby that carries Duragloss products. If you can get your hands on 101 or 501 (both good cleaners) and 111 or 105 (both good sealants) then you'll have a great setup there. You'll just need a good car wash soap, some mitts/brushes/buckets, and a clay kit which can be found at any auto parts store.

-Wash
-Clay
-Duragloss cleaner (101 or 501)
-Duragloss sealant (111 or 105)

These are the best products you'll find locally, good luck!

ScottL
05-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Matt! I will go have a look after work!

GXPWeasel
05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I am no pro. but I did used to detail for a stealership here locally. I can tell you for a fact, that just because a car is new, doesn't mean it's clean, or imperfection free. I ALWAYS clayed the new cars when I did my P.D.I. on them. Most detailers didn't, but I had the time because it was a small dealership, so I did. I can tell you that there can be quite a bit of rail dust and contaminants on even a brand new car, so I definitely wouldn't hurt a thing doing a quick clay job on the new Flex. I would suggest the MeGuiars clay bar kit, which comes with some mild clay, and the quick deatailer for lubrication. This kit has continued to do a good job for me, and I'm sure won't let you down. Just remember to keep your paint well lubricated. Don't clay in the sun, or extreeme heat, or you will see some streaks when your done.

Good luck.

ScottL
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Greg!

I will have to do a little more research on claying, as I had never heard of it until I joined this forum, and don't want to screw up the car trying something I am unfamiliar with!

jugodegolf
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Clay is the bomb for sure. Easy to do.

Duragloss vs. Meguires NXT?

trlblazer3
05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I would absolutely recommend claying any new vehicle. You would be surprised the amount of junk that can get trapped on a new paint finish. Claying is pretty newby friendly IMO -just keep it well lubricated, and let the clay do the work for you. Knead the clay regularly to expose uncontaminated clay -this will increase efficiency as well as prevent micro-marring. Wipe the lube with a soft MF towel and enjoy a contaminant-free finish.

Since you are looking locally, I would recommend Duragloss 601/105 combo for LSP if it can be found locally. If not, Meguiar's NXT would also be a good choice. That should at least get you started.

To minimize any future marring, especially during the wash/dry, I would suggest the two-bucket method with Grit Guard, some good car wash, and some quality MF drying towels.

Good luck on your new ride!

ScottL
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Since you are looking locally, I would recommend Duragloss 601/105 combo for LSP if it can be found locally. If not, Meguiar's NXT would also be a good choice. That should at least get you started.

Can you explain the "combo" thing?

I got the 2 buckets, the grit guard and a couple of microfiber towels. I also have a sheep wool mitt.

Thanks!

Lowprofile
05-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Carquest carries a good amount of Duragloss as does Napa. If they don't have it they can get it. Also Pep Boys now carries the Surf City line of products. I prefer, and use, the Duragloss line.

905 shampoo to wash
501 for pre-cleaner
105 for sealant
Aqua Wax for added durability and gloss once a month

ScottL
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Ok, so I use the 905 shampoo to wash

Next I do the clay process?

Then do the 501 pre-cleaner, followed by the 105 sealant.

Finish up with Aqua Wax.

Do I have my steps right?

I appreciate all the input!

trlblazer3
05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Can you explain the "combo" thing?

I got the 2 buckets, the grit guard and a couple of microfiber towels. I also have a sheep wool mitt.

Thanks!

601 -Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent. Use this before 105. You can read about it here:
Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #601 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-polish-bonding-agent.html)

105 -Duragloss Total Performance Polish. A very durable, long-lasting LSP that gives very good looks as well.
Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html)

These two provide excellent protection and durablity. Oh yea, they look pretty darn good to boot! :cheers:

markwatson157
05-08-2009, 03:53 PM
i agree with most here, duragloss is the way to go, wash with 901, clay, clean with 501, then apply 105. Wait 12 hrs then apply another coat of 105. That should keep you well protected and shining for a few months. Use AW after washes to refresh your shine, or use a good nuba. I hope this info helps.

ScottL
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Ok, now you have me a little confused...

Do I need to do the 501 Pre-cleaner, then the 601 bonding agent, followed by the 105?

Again, I do they clay before ALL of these steps, right??

ScottL
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
i agree with most here, duragloss is the way to go, wash with 901, clay, apply 601, then 105. Wait 12 hrs then apply another coat of 105. That should keep you well protected and shining for a few months. Use AW after washes to refresh your shine, or use a good nuba. I hope this info helps.

thanks Mark! You posted while I was typing, but everything is clear now!!!

:cheers: