PDA

View Full Version : Drying car after rain and QD for wheels

eyecandy
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I am curious if anyone dries there car after a drive in the rain. If so do you just dry it, use a QD spray and dry, something else or just leave it be later do a full wash?

Is there a QD that can be used for wheels? I have the PoorBoys Wheel sealant, I am hesitant to just dust off/dry the wheels after they show brake dust/dirt or wet. My wheels are all aluminum painted/cleared center with an anodized clear lips.

mjfx
05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
You can clean off wheels after rain with a waterless wash. (Once theyre cooled down)

However if you dry your paint after rain you are almost guaranteed to put swirls and/or scratches in your paint. Since there is dirt and debris on the surface.

eyecandy
05-07-2009, 08:11 PM
You can clean off wheels after rain with a waterless wash. (Once theyre cooled down)

However if you dry your paint after rain you are almost guaranteed to put swirls and/or scratches in your paint. Since there is dirt and debris on the surface.

Waterless wash as in the DP products? Wouldn't this cause swirles like the paint?

Just curious about the paint portion, but if you QD a car without it being washed (say dusted) how would this be different then drying the car wet after rain, or drying the wet with spray QD/waterless wash after a rain? Wouldnt the extra water or water+QD be extra protection?

IDK just curious... I was just thinking about it as I pulled it into the garage last night.

Emile
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I would never try to dry my car off in the rain. Rain throws up all the dirt from the road onto your car. You just can't see the dirt until the water dries off.

If you want to maintain the brake dust and dirt that accumulates on your wheels, you can use a waterless wash product, such as DP Waterless Wash, with a quality MF towel. Meguiar's also recently released a Quik Detail Wheel product especially for this application.

After I wash my car I usually wax my wheels with Optimum Car Wax. It's easy to apply, it makes the wheels shiny, and it leaves the surface slick and more likely to repel dirt and brake dust.

waltj2k
05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I would never try to dry my car off in the rain. Rain throws up all the dirt from the road onto your car. You just can't see the dirt until the water dries off.

This comment made me think of Texas rain storms. I live in Dallas and from time to time rain storms come from the West where there is a lot of dirt kicked up by the storm. So when it rains it literally rains mud. I'd hate to see what that rain would do to my paint if I just wiped it down.

67Customs
05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
The only time I have ever dried rain water off a car is when it started raining right after I had got done washing and claying the car. I pulled it into the garage and dried it off. That is about the only time I could imagine drying rain water off the car.

I would never dry it off after driving in the rain. You are just asking for swirls. Even if you pre-rense.

eyecandy
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replies!

So I guess you guess recommend washing the car after driving in the rain? Or how would it be to let the car sit in the rain for a awhile then dry it off? Or rinse it down? Can a waterless wash be used to lubricate and pull away the dirt/debris? Or is it still better to fully wash the car?

On the wheels how wheel safe is the Meguiars wheel QD? I use poorboys wheel sealant, I think they say to just wipe of dry break dust, not sure about the rain...

A4 1.8tqm
05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
The only time I have ever dried rain water off a car is when it started raining right after I had got done washing and claying the car. I pulled it into the garage and dried it off. That is about the only time I could imagine drying rain water off the car.

I would never dry it off after driving in the rain. You are just asking for swirls. Even if you pre-rense.

:whs: or you will be :buffing:

67Customs
05-08-2009, 06:07 PM
So I guess you guess recommend washing the car after driving in the rain? Or how would it be to let the car sit in the rain for a awhile then dry it off? Or rinse it down? Can a waterless wash be used to lubricate and pull away the dirt/debris? Or is it still better to fully wash the car?
Yes, a full wash is the best thing to do after a drive in rain. A waterless wash like ONR will also work.