PDA

View Full Version : Terry towels

Pages : [1] 2

justin_murphy
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Is anyone out there using terry towels to dry with?
I used a huge bath towel today to dry my truck with (experiment) and man, it sucked the water UP!

Let me know. I know all are using MF's as am I but man, I dried my truck fast as heck.

Justin

joe.p
09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Is anyone out there using terry towels to dry with?
I used a huge bath towel today to dry my truck with (experiment) and man, it sucked the water UP!

Let me know. I know all are using MF's as am I but man, I dried my truck fast as heck.

Justin

My neighbor uses bath towels on his dark blue Trailblazer Justin and the SUV has some bad swirls and deep scratches.

sparkie
09-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Swirl City!

Rapidity
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I use terry sized hand towels to get what water I missed when using the leaf blower. I also use them to remove wax and QD. But that's all I use those for...

justin_murphy
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
So is terry/cotton that abrasive?
I've seen some on detail sites that claim to be soft.

Can they be that bad?

FloridaNative
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
I've heard of some people using terry towels, but only made in the USA 100% cotton. Something about the overseas blends that wasn't good. I think it is Zaino that recommends cotton terry towels if my memory serves me correctly.

aceshigh73
09-01-2006, 05:43 PM
What about those DF Concours towels.... they are super soft....
and made in gold 'ol US of A

And its a Long Island company to boot....
(Didnt know that until now)

Excessive Detail
09-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I use to use terry towels all the time, yes they do seem to soak up water better than most ww, but I know for a fact that they will swirl paint. I believ thats were a lot of my swirls came from, also that black expo I did a while ago, well my dumb ass forgot my ww's and I had to use a terry towel, lets just say thank god I was going to polish this car, becuase it put a lot of marring in the paint, You could see it after just one swipe, ssr1 and an orange edge pad got them out, but if I was just washing that car, I would have been screwed.

dengood1
09-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Was the terry towel new or used that scratched the paint? I think a lot of people forget that most likely the towels have been washed (if used) and if a powder detergent is used then it will scratch as some of the "grains" of washing powder get trapped in the fibers. We ALL know that powder detergent is a BIG no no when washing microfiber towels because of this reason.

But yes, I've used terry on occasion. Hint--They work best when just taken from washer after a fast spin cycle, when they're ever so slightly damp;) A slightly damp terry will absorb MUCH quicker than a dry one.

aceshigh73
09-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I dont mean to sound harsh... but I've read so much about not using "powder detergent" with MF towels... but honestly, I havent see 'powder' washing detergent in AGES... My mother, wife, etc.... God... its been years and years....
Does anyone still use it?

ScottB
09-01-2006, 08:21 PM
neither micros nor towels should see fabric softner, it stops there ability to soak water. As for towels, the edging and patterned design are polyester and can scratch the heck out of paint. I use them on wheels only ....

Kelso
09-01-2006, 08:26 PM
yes. we use it at work, but i think thats some industrial strength sort of stuff...its cool though cause when it gets wet, it get hot instantly.pretty neat

dengood1
09-01-2006, 08:30 PM
neither micros nor towels should see fabric softner, it stops there ability to soak water. As for towels, the edging and patterned design are polyester and can scratch the heck out of paint. I use them on wheels only ....

aren't mf's 70-80% polyester?:confused: just curious?

ScottB
09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
aren't mf's 70-80% polyester?:confused: just curious?

yes ... polymide which is a derivative. The way it is spun and reduced is the benefit. It becomes stronger than silk, yet softer than chenille. Im gonna visit a Chinese sweatshop someday and see just how they do these amazing buggers.

dengood1
09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
yes ... polymide which is a derivative. The way it is spun and reduced is the benefit. It becomes stronger than silk, yet softer than chenille. Im gonna visit a Chinese sweatshop someday and see just how they do these amazing buggers.
Haha.....be careful.....those little guys might get tipped that you're the one making them work 18 hrs a day for beans(or rice) and break your knee caps. Remember, as with microfiber, there is strength in numbers:-) Just wear the gold chain(s) and they'll likely stay awayIm the MAN

lol