PDA

View Full Version : How do I get show or "jeweled" paint?

tooltime47
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm new to the forum. I do not have a polisher yet but the Flex looks like it is highly recommended. Now all the pads and different products is very confusing to me. I was reading several how to posts here then ran across some photos of Killrwheels black Corvette. That is the look that I want to get on my car. I have 2006 Victory Red Corvette that I have used Zaino products on since it was new. It is not a daily driver so the paint is in decent shape. I also have a black 1991 Corvette ZR1. The car was never a daily driver (only 10,000 miles) so the paint is pretty decent on that one too. There is a bit of swirling but not bad. I show both cars so I want to get a deep wet looking shine. I have Zaino Z6 and Z8 and clay left but my Z2 is gone so it is a good time to try something new.

Besides a Flex or PC, where do I start with pads, polishes, wash, wax, mf towels (I've been using bath towels). Is there a kit that will give me most of what I need?

Rsurfer
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Since your order will be sizeable, I would call AG and see if they can get a package together for you. Customer service is very knowledgeable.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Jeweling is the very last step with a finish polish and finishing pad. If you have some pics of your vette I would be able to tell you what you will need to do to get your finish like my black one. Just a few things to start, pick up some Menzerna SIP, 106FA. Several pads of each color like white, green and blue pads and either pfw pads or full wool. Also might want to pick up some Meguiars M105 in case you have some swirls that the Menzerna will not remove. There is a flex kit with the Menzerna polishes, that would be the one to look at. I prefer the Pakshak Ultraplush towels than the ones sold here. As for a wax Pinnacle Souveran is very nice for dark colored cars. If you need anymore help just ask and we will help you out.

Harleyguy
05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
A good start is this kit awesome for vettes.We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-flex-xc3401-ceramic-show-car-kit.html.As) far as wax the sky is the limit i use poor boys natty blue and also have Wolfgang Fuzion.You can stick also with the Wg wash,MF there is alot out there so i would just read which ones everyone likes.I bought some from Ag but also alot from another place.And do alot of reading before you start on the vette

Rsurfer
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
BTW, Asphalt Rocket, Harleyguy, Killrwheels, Matt, to name a few are the Vette King's around here. Ask away and they will help you out. Great bunch of guy's.

Harleyguy
05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
BTW, Asphalt Rocket, Harleyguy, Killrwheels, Matt, to name a few are the Vette King's around here. Ask away and they will help you out. Great bunch of guy's.Where are the great guys ??? Still looking here

tooltime47
05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Jeweling is the very last step with a finish polish and finishing pad. If you have some pics of your vette I would be able to tell you what you will need to do to get your finish like my black one. Just a few things to start, pick up some Menzerna SIP, 106FA. Several pads of each color like white, green and blue pads and either pfw pads or full wool. Also might want to pick up some Meguiars M105 in case you have some swirls that the Menzerna will not remove. There is a flex kit with the Menzerna polishes, that would be the one to look at. I prefer the Pakshak Ultraplush towels than the ones sold here. As for a wax Pinnacle Souveran is very nice for dark colored cars. If you need anymore help just ask and we will help you out.

Pics of the vettes can be seen here: Zenfolio | Dave Havercamp | 91 ZR1 (http://tooltime47.zenfolio.com/p459970475) Most are hi resolution so if you need to see more detail, just download the original. Hold your cursor over the top left side of the photo and a flyout will appear and just select download original.

Dave

Harleyguy
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Nice rides there Dave where is Michigan, Florida ???

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-05-2009, 08:59 PM

I would agree, nice looking cars. Dave, hard to get a good look at the finish so I would suggest a white pad with sip to start with and go from there.

tooltime47
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I fixed my profile to show Essexville, MI and Cape Coral, FL instead of just Michigan and Florida. That was confusing. We spend the winters in FL.

If you are from South Florida you should check this place out: Zenfolio | Dave Havercamp | Muscle Car City (http://tooltime47.zenfolio.com/p276827396) It's in Punta Gorda. He has about 50 Vettes in there and about 180 classics on display. It is really a must see.

Dave

Rsurfer
05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Ouch, bath towels. They are for drying your bod not your paint. Just as Dawn is for dishes no matter what Zanio says.

rs2k2k2
05-06-2009, 11:16 PM
+1

mjfx
05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey tooltime. The bath towels are probably what caused most of the swirls you have. MF towels are the best and work even better when moist with QD.

As for pads, to keep things simple, white pads are about midrange for roughness. I use white pads mostly, and orange if the paint is bad, and wool if the paint is faded.

Eruptiv
05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Is that a Road Runner in the background parked in the garage?Awesome!

tooltime47
05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Is that a Road Runner in the background parked in the garage?Awesome!
Yes it is but its not mine.