PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the wheel well

Pages : [1] 2

Reddwarf
09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I had a bent rim but I was told not to worry about fixing it immediately. So I didn't and yesterday I went out to find a falt tire. Turns out the tire started leaking around the bent rim. So the wheel has been sent to be repaired and refinshed. Now I suspect I will have to refinish the other wheels!

Anyway, that's not really why the post. I attacked the wheel wells because I plan on entering my car in an upcoming Jaguar Concours. The wheel wells where dirty (understatement). I washed them with Simply Green followed by a bucket of water and Meg's Gold Soap. I used an old MF wash mitt.

After scrubbing them and drying I applied Mother's Back to Black.

It is difficult to get my hand back into all the spots. Would using a jack to lift the car help? Or will I have to remove the wheels?

Is there a product recommened more than Mother's B to B for this application? Is there an easier way to maintain it like using some spray product?

Thanks!

Rapidity
09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I think I have seen Killr say to use something store bought in a can and spray up there. I am sure he will post.

sndhnrc
09-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Gloss black spray paint and a steady hand will do wonders.

justin_murphy
09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Armor All Tire Foam.
Serously.
I used it EVERYDAY for wheel wells.
Look around and you can find it for 2-3.00
If you let it dry overnight, it will harden up better making next time a breeze!

Totoland Mach
09-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Reddwarf: the Armor All tire gel is good as are most tire dressings. I apply then heavily with a paint brush, let that sit for 15-20 minutes, and use old shop towels to buff dry.

If the Jag Concours folks are as picky as the Porsche Club of America concours judges...you'd better have it dry! They get so "testy" at a greasy feeling fender well.

Have fun, above all.

Toto

FloridaNative
09-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I think I have seen Killr say to use something store bought in a can and spray up there. I am sure he will post.

I think Killr recommended Black Magic spray

sparkie
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Black Magic foaming spray. After the foam melts off, take an old towel and wipe the excess off!!!!

justin_murphy
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I'v noticed that Black Magic has came along way. Nice stuff for OTC.

joe.p
09-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I use Megs Hyper dressing diluted. You can dilute it to your liking for a nice matte(sp) shine or get it up a bit for some gloss..

Reddwarf
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions! So far the Mother's Back to Black looks good, but I think I'll try the Armor All Tire Foam Gel. If it's good enough for Justin it's good enough for me!

So, I go to the tire place. The wheel is back and it is beautiful! They mount the tire and put it on the car. I go out and take a look before driving off and notice several dings and paint chips on the new wheel. One the size of a quarter! I call the manager over and well, he will redo the wheel for free. AARGH!

ScottB
09-01-2006, 08:43 PM
If I was competing, I would take off each wheel. Then I would clean and repaint them matte black. That said, in normal day to day detailing I really like a cheap can of spray gloss wheel protectant (I buy the 3-6 pack at Costgo/Bjs) and I like Griots Garage Undercarriage Spray also.

Reddwarf
09-01-2006, 09:04 PM
If I was competing, I would take off each wheel. Then I would clean and repaint them matte black. That said, in normal day to day detailing I really like a cheap can of spray gloss wheel protectant (I buy the 3-6 pack at Costgo/Bjs) and I like Griots Garage Undercarriage Spray also.

Really? You would paint the plastic?

TNT-C5
09-01-2006, 09:54 PM
I buy Griot's Undercarriage Spray by the gallon. It is great stuff. I used it on a friend's P/U the other day and it looked like it just came off the assembly line.:righton:

3Dog
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I love Griots also..but if it had to be dry I would go with Pig Spit.

Reddwarf
09-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I buy Griot's Undercarriage Spray by the gallon. It is great stuff. I used it on a friend's P/U the other day and it looked like it just came off the assembly line.:righton:

Interesting. I checked out Griots website. They have all sorts of stuff including tools and driving shoes. So with the undercarriage spray is it a cleaner that you spray on and hose off?