PDA

View Full Version : Hot Flex?

Pages : [1] 2 3

termigator
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Is it normal for the Flex to get real hot during usage? I seem to feel a lot of heat coming from the Flex everytime I use it. Is that normal?

Touchof Class
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
What gauge extension cord are you using? i had the same problem until i bought a 12 gauge cord. They are a bit more expensive but will save the life of your equipment.

termigator
05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Don't know. I bought it a long time ago. I might just go ahead and get a new extension cord if that's the problem. The connector on the extension is pretty worn and the plug on the Flex won't stay in.

Touchof Class
05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Well i won't guarantee you that is the problem but i would definitely try out a new cord before doing anything with the Flex. They have a 50ft 12 gauge Husky cord for $41 at Home Depot right now. I bought one and love it as it solved all my over heating problems. Also if you need one that is longer than 50 feet i would go to a 10 gauge due to the longer cord. Hope this helps...i would hate for you to mess something as expensive as the flex up due to a faulty cord. Good luck!

termigator
05-04-2009, 05:58 AM
I don't need 50 ft. Actually that will get in the way. I'll probably try 25 ft. or less. The Flex's cord is already pretty long too. Thanks for the feedback.:cheers:

ScottB
05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
make sure the backing plate is not coming into contact with frame nor the felt like material under it.

Al-53
05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
If you plug will not fit tight in your extension..thats your problem...the worse the connection the more the machine has to draw...so it heats up..a bad plug causes resistance....

get a contractors grade 12 guage cord..12 should be fine if your only needing 25 feet....but..I would go the 50 foot for the future ...never know

Al

termigator
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
make sure the backing plate is not coming into contact with frame nor the felt like material under it.

Backing plate is not touching. I took the plate off and there were no signs of rubbing. BTW, I like your new avatar.:D

If you plug will not fit tight in your extension..thats your problem...the worse the connection the more the machine has to draw...so it heats up..a bad plug causes resistance....

get a contractors grade 12 guage cord..12 should be fine if your only needing 25 feet....but..I would go the 50 foot for the future ...never know

Al

Hope you're right. I got a new ext. cord from HD. Will find out tomorrow if that's the problem. Thanks.:cheers:

Blackthorn One
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't need 50 ft. Actually that will get in the way. I'll probably try 25 ft. or less. The Flex's cord is already pretty long too. Thanks for the feedback.:cheers:

Keep the end where the cord plugs into the wall rolled up to 25 feet and hold it with electrical tape or tie wraps or something to keep the extra length of the 50 foot cord out of the way until you need it.

detail viking
05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
So was the cord causing the problem? Mine got a little hot yesterday.

termigator
05-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I haven't used it for an extended period since I got the new cord.

jaredpointer
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Mine gets hot on the silver housing right above the backing plate. I have not noticed the backing plate touching the housing or the felt.

It gets hotter than what I would think would be appropriate. I think I will try a larger gauge cord and see if that helps to ease the heat. Also, someone told me that a drop or two of oil may be needed somewhere in the backing plate gears.

jaredpointer
05-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I tried using a heavy gauge extension cord when using my Flex. I used it for around two hours, and while it might have ran a little bit cooler, the silver housing still got very warm to the touch. So warm, at times, that it was uncomfortable if touched.

Shinystang
05-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I noticed the heat this weekend. After finishing 1/2 of an Infininty I35, the silver casing was so hot, I couldn't touch it. I'm using a standard 3-prong extension cord and the cord did NOT heat up. The heat seemed to transmit through the pad as well.

My max speed was 5 and all the work was done in a covered garage.

Should I oil the gear itself or just the felt ring? It doesn't seem normal for it to get that hot.

DanDanTMM
05-28-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm a newbie here and I just got my Flex last week. I used it over the Memorial Day weekend getting the finish on my Camry back to looking new...or better. I also noticed that the Flex got hot, but I didn't have anything to compare it to so I assumed it was normal. You can feel the heat blowing out of the housing vents. I think that's one reason for the plastic cover over the housing...to sheild you from the heat. At least that's my theory. I have a heavier extension chord than the one I was using, I'll have to try that next time.