PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick a buffer kit. Pics attached.

Pages : [1] 2

mr. roboto
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi guys.

I started a thread about a year ago on here looking to do some paint correction. Unfortunately, I never got around to making a purchase. School started back up again, had no free time ect ect.

BUT, now I am absolutely ready to buy a buffing kit for my car. I can't look at it any longer, it is really bothering me and I am ready to do whatever it takes to get the car looking good again.

SO, I have a 2001 Monte Carlo. It's black (unfortunately) and it starting to show signs of heavy swirling. There are a number of kits onhere that come with a ton of different products. Some come with swirl removers, others include polish ect....

I have pinnacle signature series II wax now, so I am looking for a kit that will come with some abrasives to take the swirling out, and that I will be able to follow up with a coat of the sig series II wax that I already own. OH, I also have a clay kit that I purchased from here too, so I will be claying the car prior to doing anything.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about. As you can see, the car still looks good from a distance in the shade, but once you get up close, especially if the car is in the sun, the swirling really becomes evident. It was hard to capture in pictures, aslo. It looks much worse in real life.

I would be very graeful for any help that anyone might be able to offer. I am willing to spend around 300, but will spend the extra money if its worth it for a better result.

Thanks!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-forum/3004d1211726549-please-help-me-paint-correction-img_1776-large-.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-forum/3006d1211726586-please-help-me-paint-correction-img_1786-large-.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-forum/3007d1211726599-please-help-me-paint-correction-img_1604-large-.jpg

Rsurfer
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Get a Flex kit with Menzerna polish. You will probably step up to Souveran paste after you get that black glowing.

wytstang
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Wallet friendly kit that will work
Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit (http://autogeek.net/pc7424-menzerna-ceramic-kit.html)
Not so friendly but will egt the job done faster
Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Polishing & Swirl Remover Kit, wolfgang polishes, flex buffer, menzerna, lake country (http://autogeek.net/wolfgang-flex-polisher-kit.html)

Wendell Jarvis
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Get a Flex kit with Menzerna polish. You will probably step up to Souveran paste after you get that black glowing.
:whs:

ScottB
05-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Menzerna Ceramiclear kit with Flex, G110, or PC as funds permit.

killrflake
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Menzerna Ceramiclear kit with Flex, G110, or PC as funds permit.
:whs:

Hades02
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I bought the Flex 1000 kit and can't say enough about
it. It doesn't come with any polishes but you get enough
pads to get you through an entire car. Buy either Menz SIP
or Megs 105 with it and you will be all set till funds allow you
to make other purchases or you trade some of the SIP or 105
for a finish polish like Menz 106FA or 3M Ultrafina.

mr. roboto
05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all of the input so far.

One of the recurring questions I had while browsing on my own was if my car has a ceramic clear coat? Some of the kits/polishes state that they are designed for ceramic clear coats. I am guessing my car isn't fancy enough to have such a coat, but does anyone know?

If it does't, is it still safe to use a ceramic polish?

Thanks again!

Rsurfer
05-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all of the input so far.

One of the recurring questions I had while browsing on my own was if my car has a ceramic clear coat? Some of the kits/polishes state that they are designed for ceramic clear coats. I am guessing my car isn't fancy enough to have such a coat, but does anyone know?

If it does't, is it still safe to use a ceramic polish?

Thanks again!Menzerna can be used for any clear coat.

Harleyguy
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Menzerna can be used for any clear coat.:whs:

RustyBumper
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Question, if I'm going to use a Flex in conjunction with Meg's 105, followed by 205 do I have to use a glaze and then top it with wax or can I go from 205 to wax? Also, do I have to wash inbetween 105 and 205 or can I do IPA wipedown?

trlblazer3
05-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Question, if I'm going to use a Flex in conjunction with Meg's 105, followed by 205 do I have to use a glaze and then top it with wax or can I go from 205 to wax? Also, do I have to wash inbetween 105 and 205 or can I do IPA wipedown?

205 to a wax will be fine -the glaze will give you a more wet look and jewel the paint a little better, but its not necessary step. 205 finishes down very well. Also, if you're using a sealant, be careful if you apply a glaze -some glazes cause bonding issues when used in conjunction with sealants. If you're using a 'nauba as LSP this isn't an issue.

As for the 105/205 transition, an IPA wipedown is all that is really needed.

RustyBumper
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks Brian, I appreciate the help. I can't wait to get started.

Harleyguy
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I try not too use a glaze since they contain fillers to cover swirls .But to be honest i do use some poorboys black hole when i enter a car show like i did this past weekend .Do some reading up on the 205 if you haven't some paints finish down better then others with the 205.

mr. roboto
05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys.

One more question. What advantages does the FLEX offer over the PC?

If it will just get the job done quicker, then I don't really mind, I'll just take my time with the cheaper PC buffer. But if it offers some other big advantage that will have a positive effect on the final result of the look of the car, then maybe I could see stepping up to the FLEX kit.

Thanks again!