PDA

View Full Version : Catalysts

aceshigh73
09-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Hey I have a question....

Why dont other companies make a catalyst agent (a la zfx) for their sealants ? It would be nice to "bang out" 2 layers (or more) of sealant in one nice day instead of being a slave to weather and time waiting for the cross-linking stuff to happen....
There has to be a market for it.. especially those in rain prone areas, and areas where you might not get 2 nice days in a row (esp in winter months)....

Have a nice weekend everyone... We'll be getting the remnants of Ernesto tonight into sunday.... Cant wait!!! :mad:

3Dog
09-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Werkstatt Acrylic Jett can be layered immediately.
FK1 products can be layered immediately.

I am sure there are others.

FloridaNative
09-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Ernesto is a wus! Don't worry about him! lol As far as the catalysts, I don't know why. Chemically I don't know how the different ingredients work together to create the finished product, and why Zaino is different from the others, but it is a tantalizing thought to be able to apply 2 coats of sealant in one day. :) Maybe someone with more chemical knowledge will chime in on this thread. :)

Rapidity
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
IT would be awesome if I could put down two coats of wolfgang sealant in a day

sparkie
09-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I put down two sealant in one DAY. After 8 hours:D

joe.p
09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I put down two sealant in one DAY. After 8 hours:D
Thats because sparkie likes to live on the edge ;)

ScottB
09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
every paint sealant has a catalyst, otherwise it would never set and cure. Duragloss (Brothers Corp) and Zaino originally offered a seperate catalyst that was added (coating) prior to paint in a coat then sealed over. They said this increased durability and bonding.

Next Zaino designed ZFX which Sal swears cannot be duplicated currently and mixed with product prior to shipment. As such its main benefit is bonding, but it seems to also help with immediate curing in environment. I will tell you from personal experience it works well but is very finicky. I have had two bottles dry up in a closed cabinet so heat/cold/humidity must play a significant factor.

So could we use this catalyst with other sealants ?? I dont know as not a chemist, but I am sure that more sealant manufacturers would offer it if it was that big a deal. I suspect they feel the included drying agent is adequate and how many detailers truly add a bizzilion levels. Most casual detailers stop at one !!

maesal
10-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Werkstatt Acrylic Jett can be layered immediately.
FK1 products can be layered immediately.

I am sure there are others.

AJ or AJT?

XterraOverload
10-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Yea for those of us who (DONT) have a garage well it sure would be nice.............Shoot it would be nice reguardless.

Larry A
10-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Isent David B. at Autopia working on a catalyst for sealants?

Al-53
10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
The Duragloss bonding agent can be used with other sealants....it does clean the surface of old wax and contaminants..

But when you apply it you leave it on,,and then you apply your sealant over it....then after the waiting time you buff it off...

the purpose of the PBA is to create a nice bonding surface..and the residue that remains on the paint reacts with the siloxane polymers and acts like a catylst..giving it a harder more durarable finish...sorta like a epoxy A B setup...

it will not quicken the cure time though...it would be nice...

maybe the new stuff they are working on will have something like that...they are working on a newer type sealant....never know ..just have to wait and see...they do have a new buffing gel coming...suppose to be very good stuff...for lite to medium corrections...silicone free body shop safe..diminishing abrasives....just have to wait

Al

FloridaNative
10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
The Duragloss bonding agent can be used with other sealants....it does clean the surface of old wax and contaminants..

But when you apply it you leave it on,,and then you apply your sealant over it....then after the waiting time you buff it off...

the purpose of the PBA is to create a nice bonding surface..and the residue that remains on the paint reacts with the siloxane polymers and acts like a catylst..giving it a harder more durarable finish...sorta like a epoxy A B setup...

it will not quicken the cure time though...it would be nice...

maybe the new stuff they are working on will have something like that...they are working on a newer type sealant....never know ..just have to wait and see...they do have a new buffing gel coming...suppose to be very good stuff...for lite to medium corrections...silicone free body shop safe..diminishing abrasives....just have to wait

Al

Ah, see that's what I was hoping that the Duragloss would do, but I figured I was shooting for the moon. With all of the formulas of sealants out there it would be very difficult to create a catalyst that could work with them all and decrease the cure times. I guess the catalyst would have to be something that was developed within the product line itself. Sure would be nice though. I don't have a garage either so I always have to do so much planning if I want to use a sealant, it would be nice to have a catalyst that would reduce the cure time. :) But, then again , with the constant strides being made in this industry, I'm sure it will not be long before the technology is there. :)

ScottB
10-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Isent David B. at Autopia working on a catalyst for sealants?

David ... thru a chemist and likely a familar line is toying with bringing a booster to the market. One designed for poly sealants and the other for various other sealants. What is known is the original intent was not to cure quicker or be a drying agent, it is that he wants to increase "durability". Now this is fine , but is it needed ?? Most individuals wax/seal monthly and thus really need no booster. What is the cost ?? Would you spend 25.00 to boost your favorite sealant for longer protection (not necessarily better) ??

It is an interesting product and one that "could" have a place in the market. But pricing and design is likely to be the deciding factor. It seems to me that designing a "booster" for carnaubas would be the best design, after all everyone still seems to prefer the look of carnaubas just want longer protection.

Padron
10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Would you spend 25.00 to boost your favorite sealant for longer protection (not necessarily better) ??

No, not me....

It seems to me that designing a "booster" for carnaubas would be the best design, after all everyone still seems to prefer the look of carnaubas just want longer protection.

Agreed, Love to have that Souveran Glow Last and Last and Last...........:D