PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from KY (not the jelly)

streamline moderne
05-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey, all,

I recently joined and have been procrastinating introducing myself because I wanted to buff up the new car (Crossfire). What with four or five other projects that need completing, though, it hasn't happened, so I will wade in anyway.

I just turned 61--yeah, I know, an old guy. But rest assured like most guys, I am mentally stuck on 17 years of age most of the time. It's just the creaky joints and such that keep reminding me of the calendar.

I bought the XFire new back in January over the phone from a dealer in Michigan. Flew up there to pick it up and drive home. I have always loved the styling (hence my user id) and couldn't pass up a new car at half the MSRP. Plus it's 84% Mercedes Benz, including the engine, drive train and suspension, so I now have an orphaned model of a car that was the illegitimate offspring of Chrysler (declared bankruptcy yesterday) and Daimler that has two seats and not much in the way of practically. But, oh that styling . . .

Today is Derby Day in Louisville, about 100 miles from Richmond, KY where I now live. Cold and wet; what a mess. I was born and raised in Louisville, but never did go to the Derby, preferring cars to horses.

I taught Criminal Justice at a Eastern KY. University until I retired last summer. My wife of 39 years was a math teacher at the same school. One kid (girl) and one grandkid (three-year-old boy).

That's enough. Thanks for all the information on sprucing up my cars.

A4 1.8tqm
05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome! Glad to have you among us.

What products do you use? Machine polisher?

Emile
05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the forum! The Crossfire sure is a nice-looking car. :welcome:

streamline moderne
05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Welcome! Glad to have you among us.

What products do you use? Machine polisher?

Remember, I'm a retired college prof so research is what I do, and I'm still looking into it. I'm leaning toward either the PC or the Flex. The Flex is obviously superior, but at a big price jump and I don't know whether I'll use the polisher enough to justify the extra cost. Plus, my Crossfire is silver, my wife's Accord is white (my Tacoma is maroon, but it's the foul-weather beater) and neither color is amenable to a knock-out shine.

But, I always did like good tools . . .

Wendell Jarvis
05-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey, all,

I recently joined and have been procrastinating introducing myself because I wanted to buff up the new car (Crossfire). What with four or five other projects that need completing, though, it hasn't happened, so I will wade in anyway.

I just turned 61--yeah, I know, an old guy. But rest assured like most guys, I am mentally stuck on 17 years of age most of the time. It's just the creaky joints and such that keep reminding me of the calendar.

I bought the XFire new back in January over the phone from a dealer in Michigan. Flew up there to pick it up and drive home. I have always loved the styling (hence my user id) and couldn't pass up a new car at half the MSRP. Plus it's 84% Mercedes Benz, including the engine, drive train and suspension, so I now have an orphaned model of a car that was the illegitimate offspring of Chrysler (declared bankruptcy yesterday) and Daimler that has two seats and not much in the way of practically. But, oh that styling . . .

Today is Derby Day in Louisville, about 100 miles from Richmond, KY where I now live. Cold and wet; what a mess. I was born and raised in Louisville, but never did go to the Derby, preferring cars to horses.

I taught Criminal Justice at a Eastern KY. University until I retired last summer. My wife of 39 years was a math teacher at the same school. One kid (girl) and one grandkid (three-year-old boy).

That's enough. Thanks for all the information on sprucing up my cars.

Welcome aboard, you have found the best community and online forum for all detailing questions and products, I too am from KY (not the jelly) I live in Richmond also, so if you ever have a question on products or questions in general just call me or leave a message here on AG........

Wendell Jarvis
05-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Remember, I'm a retired college prof so research is what I do, and I'm still looking into it. I'm leaning toward either the PC or the Flex. The Flex is obviously superior, but at a big price jump and I don't know whether I'll use the polisher enough to justify the extra cost. Plus, my Crossfire is silver, my wife's Accord is white (my Tacoma is maroon, but it's the foul-weather beater) and neither color is amenable to a knock-out shine.

But, I always did like good tools . . .

Get the Flex.........

sal329
05-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Welcome to AG

bunyz06rabbitt
05-02-2009, 11:07 PM
:welcome:...and that is the finest introduction I have ever read on a forum Professor. I'm with Wendell on the vote for the Flex. I will be looking forward to your posts to learn and glean whatever wisdom I can gain from your testimonials on products and techniques.

streamline moderne
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all who have responded and made me feel welcome already.

Like I said, I am leaning heavily toward the Flex because I would hate to buy something of less quality and always regret not going for the better model the first time.

And Wendell, how cool to have another member in our smallish city (or biggish town--not really sure). Since you seem to be a pro from your sig, expect some questions.

loudog2
05-03-2009, 11:13 AM
:welcome:Jelly! I would also get the Flex. Don't underestimate the look of a finely polished silver car, or white. Get yourself a good set of polishes(menzerna SIP, 106FA, 85RD and maybe some M105). I would also get 3-4 of each pad. You'll use 2-3 per car, plus a extra if you drop one. It can be an addition, get ready to spend some cash.

Wendell Jarvis
05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks to all who have responded and made me feel welcome already.

Like I said, I am leaning heavily toward the Flex because I would hate to buy something of less quality and always regret not going for the better model the first time.

And Wendell, how cool to have another member in our smallish city (or biggish town--not really sure). Since you seem to be a pro from your sig, expect some questions.

Hey, You are certainly welcome to bring on ANY questions, I enjoy sharing.....If I don't know the answer, you can bet that I will find the answer.

BILLY_BLING
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
glad to see some kentucky people on hear.