PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaner

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey all, Let me start out by saying that I am not comparing any of Auto Geek's product line to that of any other auto detail supplier. After seeing the reviews of wheel cleaners (Great Wolfgang review), I starting thinking, I know I go through A LOT of wheel cleaner. It is probably my most quickly depleted product in my arsenal. I have PS12 for my high-end whips, and DP for general use, and Poor Boy's Spray and rinse for those horrible rims (We've all see 'em).

Now my question: Why doesn't Auto Geek carry a concentrated rim cleaner? Something in a gallon, that is meant to be diluted 3:1 or even 4:1. Non-acid, no ABF and generally safe for most rims. Not looking for a "Spray & Rinse" type or "No Scrubbing Required" type product. Just good cleaning power. Put it at a good price point, and I think it would be a top seller. Perhaps something to add to the DP line...

Thanks for listening,

Emile
05-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. While $45 a gallon of the DP Wheel Ceaner certainly is a fair price, I am a big fan of wheel cleaners that can be diluted for better economy. It seems I go through around 24oz of wheel cleaner per car wash. 24oz x 2 cars washed weekly, that's 48oz in one week, one gallon gone in just 3 weeks.

For what it's worth, I've noticed that Optimum PowerClean seems to be very economical. I dilute it 3:1 and I only need to use very little to end up with clean rims. At ~$35 a gallon, that's not a bad deal at all.

Bunky
05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I did not see much difference between PC 1:3 and Meg's APC 1:4 on tires. Meg's is very inexpensive.

richy
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm a big fan of Megs WB (cut 4:1) for the nasty ones and for wheels that are decent, I use Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner. You can get it by the gallon for less than $24 with $5. shipping directly from DG. AG does sell it but not by the gallon which is the best value by far. This is great stuff too. You will love it. Try a small bottle 1st if you want, but you'll be getting it by the gallon soon enough!! Let us know what you think of it.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm a big fan of Megs WB (cut 4:1) for the nasty ones and for wheels that are decent, I use Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner. You can get it by the gallon for less than $24 with $5. shipping directly from DG. AG does sell it but not by the gallon which is the best value by far. This is great stuff too. You will love it. Try a small bottle 1st if you want, but you'll be getting it by the gallon soon enough!! Let us know what you think of it.

If I am not mistaken, Megs WB contains Ammonium Biflouride, which is not the best for your wheels or your health. Diluting it does not affect the Ph level. I too use a product containing ABF, I'm really looking for a good alternative, as I mentioned before, that is designed to be diluted and has good cleaning power.

richy
05-02-2009, 10:29 PM
If I am not mistaken, Megs WB contains Ammonium Biflouride, which is not the best for your wheels or your health. Diluting it does not affect the Ph level. I too use a product containing ABF, I'm really looking for a good alternative, as I mentioned before, that is designed to be diluted and has good cleaning power.

It is a great product but you're absolutely right. Diluting it has more to do with cost savings. It HAS to be followed up with a APC or a mix of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. I always, always do that when I need to use it on wheels. But the stuff is worth the extra quick step. Try the DG and see what you think. It's not as strong as WB but for most cases will do the job.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-02-2009, 10:38 PM
It is a great product but you're absolutely right. Diluting it has more to do with cost savings. It HAS to be followed up with a APC or a mix of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. I always, always do that when I need to use it on wheels. But the stuff is worth the extra quick step. Try the DG and see what you think. It's not as strong as WB but for most cases will do the job.

Are you talking about Meguiar’s Super Degreaser? I was looking at that as a viable alternative as it is on the alkaline side. Much more forgiving. Thanks!

Don't misunderstand me, I use Poor Boy's Spray & Rinse on those horrible rims. No doubt, it works. I am just looking for a more economical yet equally effective solution.

richy
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Are you talking about Meguiar’s Super Degreaser? I was looking at that as a viable alternative as it is on the alkaline side. Much more forgiving. Thanks!

No, dude...sorry, should have been more specific!! I was referring to this (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-wheel-brightener.html) for the Meguiars and this (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-all-wheel-cleaner.html) for the Duragloss. Most APC's should be ph neutral enough to neutralize the acid. A cheap and reliable alternative is to mix baking soda with water in a spray bottle and have at 'er and rinse after.